The Ghetto POS i bought

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Mower, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower LawnSite Member

I haven't been in the business long and i'm more just looking to mow a few a my neighbors lawns so i'm no mechanic. And there was never a worse time for me to be one.

A while back i found a nice scag walk behind mower on the Internet. I looked good in the pictures, was a good price, and was what i wanted so i figured i'll go and check it out. I was a few hours from my house but that was ok. so i wound up buying it for 800 bucks.

I have a guy i know from a former job i had that said he will check it out for me make sure it will run well for me all summer.
    This is what he said!!

first thing was there were chainsaw spark plugs in it!!!

Next the air filter was the most clogged thing he as ever seen.

he had really crappy belts on it.

the center spindle and the discharge spindle looked like they had never seen grease.

The gas cap had no filter or something i was told it would get moisture in it.

wrong size blades were on it

that was just stupid crap.
    here is why it was so ghetto.

the choke was made out of a throttle control and they used a throttle cable for it!!!
    that is horrible.

he is the rest that it needed

new ignition coil

both deck belts

hydro filter

deck engagement ldler

trans and idler pulley.

wow i wanna kick myself in the a$$ for that one, but what are you gonna do, you live you learn. guess i'll find out what those parts are going to cost me tomorrow.

He told me it wasn't the worst deal in the world because it had a replacement motor on it. It had a 17 hp kawi on it that he said was worth about $2200 new. I don't know if that wasn't such a bad deal or he was trying to make me feel better.

next time i will be more careful but why would anyone do such halfass repairs?chainsaw spark plugs? WTF!!!

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not the machines fault, work it out...and fix it properly....It could be worse...you spent how much? 800. dollars....thats less than I paid for my 21" John Deere self propelled....what if you spent over 10,000 on top of the line Hustler Turf Equipment products, counted on factory and dealer support then the dealer go belly up?...left you high and dry....live and learn...thats life...

I might add,
    Hustler Turf Equipment is definitely not ghetto...pos.

3. Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower LawnSite Member

oh yeah i know it defentally could be worse. I'm not loosing that much sleep over it. I'm just mad because the mower was "ready to mow" and I was a sucker for buying it.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

time for you to quickly become a mechanic.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could have started in this business with an 800.00 hydro walkbehind...a fixer upper....I started with a Sears Craftsman and a milk jug full of gas....and a dream....you are way ahead of me when I started....count your blessings and fix it properly.
    [get the proper manuals and find out the service procedures]

Welcome to lawnsite....

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

You happen to know the # on the "chainsaw plugs"?
    The factory plugs in my Kaw 17 don't look much bigger than the plugs in my Shindiawas.

* Wish a new 17 HP Kaw could be worth 2,200.00. I'd sell mine and buy two new 23HP Kaws.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would be a little leary of that mechanic. www.alamia.com has brandnew 17 Kaws with muffler for $845 shipped.

In any case most of that stuff really is piddly stuff.

Let's see:

2 plugs $4
    Airfilter with foam precleaner $20
    All new belts $100
    2 new spindles $140
    Gas cap $10
    Blades $36
    Coil $100
    Hydro filter $20
    3 idler pullies $100
    1 choke cable with handle $15

Total $545
    Mower cost $800

You now have a useable hydro Scag mower for $1345. You can't beat that deal.

8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Richard. If you think you got hosed you should see what they cost new or even slightly used.

The best way to avoid feeling ripped off would have been to take your mechanic buddy to look at the mower when you went- BEFORE you bought it. Or to educate yourself on what repairs are needed so it doesn't happen again.

But that's water under the bridge and for $1400 you got a Scag WB.