The Going Rate!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cormierlawn, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Lawns & More

Lawns & More LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Im a solo operator, I charge between $35-$45 an hour. One of the big guys here in my town, he charges $60 an hour per man working. He pays his workers $11 an hour.

2. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

If at a single account, I strive for $50/hr. But what about clusters of yards that have a $30/min?? I unload my walk-behind, knock out 5 accounts in 1 1/2 hours . Now I'm making $100/hr.:D

LAWNS AND MOWER

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It's not your fault you don't have to load and unload for each job. I do the same thing. That's just good business. Also, if you lowball a lawn in a group, you'll find someone on the next block gets wind of it, and expects you to mow their lawn at the cheaper rate. Group accounts is just one of the "perks" of doing a good job.;) ;)

4. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

The last time I answered a question like that for an up and commer he undercut me and stole ten of my customers so you're on your own pally.

5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been averaging $35 per hour but since I will be retiring next year and doing this full time, I am now charging approx. $50 per hour for all jobs. I am raising my current customers prices by $5 per mowing and haven't lost one yet.

6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

heck, charge by the minute (actual time "on the job")

1 guy- 80 cents a minute
    2 guys- 1.50 a minute
    3 guys- 2.10 a minute

7. Suarez

Suarez LawnSite Member

What is the going rate in North Carolina for residential lawn care per hour or per 1/4 acre lot?

8. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

the going rate is what ever you set it at and then you will need to get off the computer and go sell the jobs at your rate , its real simple . my going rate is varing depending on how its presented . we can get $28.00 per 30 mins with a push mower $80 to $100 per hour with a 30'' ztr $ 55.oo to $210 per hour with a 48'' walker $65.00 to $300 per hour with a 60'' or $100.oo-$500.oo per hour witha 72'' unit our trimmer,blower averages 40.oo per hr . its up to each of us to be responsible enough to know what we need and then its up to us to make improvements on it.

9. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I just charge by the job. Most only take 20 -30 min with me and a helper. No Z's just W/B's. I really want to raise prices this year not only because of gas but because some have had same price for 3-4 years. I know the gas is going to keep going up this year so I'm just going to go ahead and raise them now. I was kind of thinking of not doing it because of the economy but cant let that change my mind.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

$40 an hour including drive time.