The "Going" Rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turtle II, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

Greeting's to everyone,

First I would like to say that I think this Rocks and is the coolest site I have seen as far as useful information.

I am pondering starting a small solo bussiness in the spring 2005 after 20 years of military service. I have been looking at all angels of this to try and get smart before I give it my all.

I just read the thread from "JON-99" about doing the 20 acre plant for 400 to 500 dollars. Steve32's reply states that he can make 300.00 per day. I am not calling anyone a liar but that figure made me kinda skeptical. I was thinking that if I'd make about 100 dollars per day ( six hours work ) that would be doing pretty good.

My question to you is how do you make 300.00 per day??? Do you mow aprox. 10 yards per day???
    Do you come up with an hourly rate and then multiply that by how long you think it will take to do the job to determin your price???

I appericate any advice you have on this subject. 300.00 dollars per day sounds like great money to me.

Hope you all have a great rest of the week.
    Be safe

:cool: :cool:

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Researching this is a definite must. $300/day does sound good, on the surface. What you're not seeing there is the cost to do business. That cost includes reliable equipment and upkeep of that equipment, insurance, gas, food, etc. Oh yeah, taxes, too. You're not going to have anyone taking taxes out for you.

As for how to make $300 per day, you can do it one of two ways. Get a medium-sized account that pays $1200 per month or get a few $50, $75, $40, etc. accounts lined up in the same area. I like the $600 days. :) Too bad I don't see 'em that often. :rolleyes:

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

$300 per day is very attainable if you are working all day.

That would be 8 $35 to $40 yards. If you are using anything other than 21" mowers you should be able to do that in 6 to 8 hours. (I am sure there are probably some members on here that can probably reach $300 per day with 21" mowers also).

If you are just making $100 per day for 6 hours work, you would probably be better off working for someone else. After you pay your expenses and pay for equipment, you won't have much left.

If you want to get in to business, sit down and figure out what your overhead actually is and then add an hourly wage for yourself. That should be what you aim for per hour worked.

Price your work competitively, but not cheap. If you just want to gross $100 per day, find 3 yards to mow for $35 and work 3 hours per day.

Don't make the mistake of not considering all your operating costs, allow for equipment replacement, insurance, repairs, truck expense, etc.

Do a lot of reading on here bewfore you start and you will gain a lot of valuable knowledge.

4. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

300.00 dollars is on target for what one can make usually around these parts 8-10 and we make a little more than that.

Take my route today four 5 acre accounts at 100 to 120 dollars and one one acre with lots of trimming sixty dollars. Thats around 460 to 500 dollars. I worked an 8 hour day and had on helper.

If you work hard be courteous and make the yards perfect thenb 300 a day is easily attainable.

5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

$300 a day should be easily attainable .... just be professional, in appearance, work ethics, and attitude. I average $300 a day and usually do that in about 3-4 hours plus a little travel time with a good helper. Group your stops tight and don't lowball just to get accounts. I cut 4 days a week (Tues.- Fri.) and leave Sat. and Mon. for trim jobs, mulch, plantings, or Fert apps.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto all the above..

$300 is nice until you reached that goal.. then you shoot for $350, then $375 and so on.

Assuming you've just found this site.. use the search feature and read, read and then read some more.

Good luck!

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I am pondering starting a small solo bussiness in the spring 2005 after 20 years of military service.

Thank you for that. I could only stand 6, and did 5 of them at Camp Lejeune, NC.

I have been looking at all angels of this to try and get smart before I give it my all.

Good idea, and this site is a great place to start. Just remember that this site is just like any other board. There are people everywhere whose opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them. Don't believe anything (here or elsewhere on the web, unless you can verify it as fact or it is consistent with something you already know to be true.

I just read the thread from "JON-99" about doing the 20 acre plant for 400 to 500 dollars. Steve32's reply states that he can make 300.00 per day. I am not calling anyone a liar but that figure made me kinda skeptical.

I don't know very many people who are completely forthright about how much money they make, but do some simple arithmetic. 10 average to small lawns per day at $30 each is not hard to do for one person.

I was thinking that if I'd make about 100 dollars per day ( six hours work ) that would be doing pretty good.

That's what every person I ever met who wanted to do this work thinks at first. Don't think in terms of an hourly wage or salary the way most jobs pay. Go price shopping and see what equipment costs, insurance, state and local zoning and license requirements, vehicle costs, fuel, repairs and maintenance, and taxes. Make a business plan. If you don't know how, go to a library on the base, or Barnes & Noble. There are books for each state. Whatever you do, don't give the service away!

My question to you is how do you make 300.00 per day??? Do you mow aprox. 10 yards per day???

usually more, and I have 1 large commercial property each morning.

Do you come up with an hourly rate and then multiply that by how long you think it will take to do the job to determin your price???

Yes. You won't have enough data to do that until you do it several times, and it will take some time to learn what to watch out for in quoting work. I recommend estimating and cutting every person's lawn you know. Get a measuring wheel and estimate lawn area, trimming and edging, and obstacles. Use a spreadsheet program or calculator to analyze time, and base your quotes on your data. If you constantly are learning to become more efficient and understand the business side of this, you can make pretty good money. You may also want to spend a couple of months working on a crew to see if you really want to do this work.

good luck to you.

8. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I think $600 a day is easily done, for a 2 man crew, depending on what you go after. I do mowing for municipalities who are finding it cheaper to hire me than have their own employees. I don't have the personality to deal with home owners. I am happy mowing a 72 duplex complex but hate mowing some grandmothers yard. We mow cemeteries, housing complexes, sewer plants etc. You need to find out what part of the business you like and will do that by getting your feet wet when you start. I agree with many others comment that this site is great and wish it had been available when I started 6 years ago.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Hello Turtle II! Welcome to LawnSite. :)

Yep...$300 to $400 a day is realistic...providing you have the right accounts and the right equipment.

I'm a solo operator. My primary machine is a Lazer Z w/ a 60" deck. All of my accounts are roughly 3/4 to 1 acre in size. Each of those accounts are $40, $45, and $50 apiece.

Knock out 7 to 10 on a given day and there you have it.

Too bad it's not all profit. :cry:

Taxes, insurance, maintainance, ect can definately whittle away at the "bottom line". :dizzy:

Good luck in your new venture, Turtle II.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it really helps if you use your hourly rate in it, atleast i do given i maintain small properties with 21" 's, with a lot of trimming involved $35 hourly x 6 a day brings me to $210 a day Just For Mowing And Trimming, add in installation and bed maintenance and other&payday is quite fat for this 16 year old!!!!