The Good and the Bad-your opinions

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by thelawnguy, Oct 19, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering what everyone likes the best and worst about the snow business.

My opinion on the best-REAL good money for what generally amounts to part-time work, and having what amounts to several hours of quiet time in the truck.

My opinion on the WORST-tight deadlines which afford little or no margin for downtime, and the prospect of working thru holidays like Thanxgiving Xmas etc-I have little kids and that means a lot to me.

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

i like being out there fighting the elements, man against
    nature.realy like it when my equipment that i've maintained
    works flawlessly. also like the fact that i am helping people start their day safely. (roads plowed,salted sidewalks) although when things go bad they go bad. last year during a storm plow broke,threewheeler that i use for plowing sidewalks would not start,broke shovel handle.(had to shovel cause threewheeler did'nt start)and ujoint went out on front drive shaft,all before 6.30am.
    had to take half day off of work just to repair all my stuff.
    dan

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Good things:

1. Lots of Extra Revenues
    2. Keeps a lot of my equipment at work year round.
    3. Keeps Gives me another way to keep employees busy, when its slow.

Bad Things:

1. Possiblities of work on weekends (weekends aren't a big deal) and holidays.
    2. Not much room for errors or breakdowns.

Geoff

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

:)
    I love snow & winter. Might as well make some good money while "playing" in it. And all of the other stuff already mentioned.

:(
    I love snow & winter. Can't schedule my snowboarding trips in advance anymore, usually go on a whim now & ususally can't get friends to drop everything & join me, and I always seem to miss the pow pow cause I have to plow plow at home.

5. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

DISLIKES: Not able to push enough, Not fulltime yet

6. ADMServices

ADMServices LawnSite Member

All of the above goes for me too.

I really love salting. You have an outlined route with x amount of stops, and x amount of loading stops. It is quiet, and the pace is fast.

Plowing gets really crazy. Phone ringing, radio making noise, guys not here yet, walks not done yet, etc... It can get pretty nutty sometimes.

Andy

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

good
    the money , the serene mornings that you are actually ahead of schedule and you can take your time

bad
    knees and back
    almost able to sleep better in truck than in bed

8. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I love when Im driving to the shop to get everyone going and its snowing and quiet and I'm the first to make tracks in the snow on the road.

I hate laying under a plow truck in the snow,with cold water dripping down my neck, wondering why a trucks 4x4 quit working.

9. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I love winter and snowfall more than anything, but since I live in a refridgerator box, the moisture rots the cardboard and then I have to find a new home. . .

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The bad
    I get real hungry at 3 am, and we have no 24hr restuarants.
    Anytime something breaks
    When customers are less than willing to understand that you have no control over mother nature

The good has all been documented by others. I love the way the snow rolls the moldboard at full left angle. That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet
    Dino