1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The good customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt, May 4, 2000.

1. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

We talk about customers that are @$$H0L3$ all the time and that wicked funny but does anyone have customers that are almost too nice?? I was thinking about this while raking some leaves. Yes i did actually finish the job! I had a lot to think about. I have this customer that lives diagonal from my house and i got the job of cleaning up there yard (edgeing, weed pulling, leaf raking) I told him 100 dollars for all. Seemed good but the edgeing took a long time cuz i had to remove like 10 inches in some places to keep a straight line. I was thinking of doing something i read in this forum. I was gonna charge him 100 and then tell him that i slightly underbid and if he would give me a few extra bucks that would be great. So anyways I was thinking of that and raking in the back, the guy comes up to me and says &quot;wow theres a lot of leaves here! Oh dont worry about doing here, here, and here&quot; Then he said how much do I owe you, 25 right? Here i gave you an extra 25 because there was a lot more work then i had thought.&quot; I was totally stunned, all i could do was keep saying thank you. I was already planning on doing a really good job but now i know that it truely is rewarding! Anyone else have really nice and honest customers?? <br>p.s. check out my who what and where
  2. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,<p>I've had that happen, it is a nice feeling. I had a cleanup last month, just a one time thing. I had a huge mental slip and assumed my 52&quot; Lazer would fit through the gate. Well of course it wouldn't(now I keep a tape measure handy at all times). I'd estimated the job to take 1 day. Four days later, I finished the job. I wrote the invoice up for the original price and gave it to the customer. Well the customer handed me the check and to my surprise it was bigger than what we had agreed to. I told him no, that we had an agreed price, and I'd stick to it. But he insisted which really made me feel good. I still lost money on that job. But by sticking to the job, and doing quality work no matter how long it takes shows professionalism. The customer now calls me for work when he's going to be out of town. He normally does his own lawn.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

I don't see it quite so strongly in the mowing end of things, but in snow plowing you get to see the differences in people. One bitches about havint to get someone &quot;more reliable&quot; because you weren't there quite as soon as they thought you should be. And then the guy two stops later on the route sends a thank you note in with his check and appreciates the job you did for him. And the ones who ***** never seem to realize that the guy who said thank you gets better service by being pleasant.
  4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Alan you are sooooooo right!!!!!!!!!!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

On my monday route, a retired woman always leaves a glass of lemonade covered with saran wrap, and a half dozen treats she has baked.
  6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

One guy here offered to pay me with wacky<br>weed.I said no thanks,so he laid on the biggest lunch I ever had for me.<br>One of my biggest customers is great,I can<br>fax them an invoice for $5k and they pay<br>on return mail.Outstanding.<p>Karl<br>
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking of weed, one of my customers was a alledged dealer, he was caught dumping a very dead and charred cadaver in the country side.<p>Nice guy, as long as you didnt owe him money I guess. He is awaiting trial and sold property. Only customer I lost from last year.