the good, the bad and the leafy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mower_babe, Oct 21, 2003.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

So, can someone with experience talk to me about the good and the bad about a leaf collection system, ie. trac vac that collects leaves via big sucky tube and blows them into the truck bed under a big topper looking thingy? (that is the technical description.);)

I want honesty here. Good brands, bad brands, $$$.

Thanks as always for your help!

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

As far as loading into the truck, I think this is what you are talking about. 16 hp BillyGoat leaf vac. Makes things so much easier than loading the truck with a tarp. I think mine was about $3000, a couple years ago. Definitely worth it.

htr1602.jpg

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently am using a similar model - 16 HP Giant vac on swing away hitch mount. Good system fof around $2600, but am looking to possibly upgrade to a tow-behind model.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use the Lesco 16hp. I only paid $1500, but they just wanted to get rid of it. They retail for $2200. Here is a pic

lesco 16hp leaf vac.jpg

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

....and use it with this truck

grain truck.jpg

6. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

i use the 13 hp Honda Billy Goat and it has been great for us.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

MB, I have a 20 hp Giant Vac tow behind vacuum. I bought the machine used in 1999 and it is still going strong. Well worth the money if you are doing lots of clean-ups. And we really use it, most of the properties we do are an acre or more with lots of trees. We dump the 12' rack body dump truck twice, sometimes three times a day.
    I had a Giant Vac 8 hp tailgate loader before this and it worked, but only on dry leaves. The 20 will suck up almost anything, wet or dry. Mike