The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.....How does the Gravely PM 34Z Perform???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Mar 19, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

What is the overall opinion of the Gravely 34 ztr? Owners would you buy it again?

I have read that its really heavy and leaves a lot of ruts?

How does it run on small lawns? What type of grass do you cut with it....I would be on st.augstine.

I am still stuck between this mower and a 36"exmark tt hp with a sulky

hopefully I wont have to post anymore about mowers, since I am even getting sick as thinking about them!

2. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine waiting for another one I can cut the same amount of grass with it in the same time as my 52 bunton walk behind i would like a 248 next and it does cut at 9 mph without a problem I don't know how it will cut on other turf I cut cool season grasses kentucky blue fescue rye and a little bent
    It is heavy it was our first rider so we tore up the tires a bit probably because of the weight but it is built to last the only competition at the time was the encore which is light but built more fore the home owner in my opinion I haven't looked at any other that have just recently come out. I have some people that want a peitite mower probably the same people who like twig women but anyhow for those people I am looking at a 32 lesco mower to keep the 21's on the trailer

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We sold 9 of them last year, all to commercial cutters. All are cutting St. Augustine and Bermuda, and they say it cuts great. About half of the buyers are using a mulch kit on theirs, mostly to keep from throwing grass into beds.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I just go mine a week ago. We use it for backyards only. Had to work one day in the rain all day, and didnt have a rutting problem. I think there would have been ruts from the velke if we still had the walkbehind. It seems like a great little mower, cut very nice. One thing people mentioned is that its not good on slopes. They were right, but we only have about 3 lawns like that, and very small areas. I would buy one again in a second. Less fatigue when mowing, and that will help out in summer. I was mowing st augustine and bahia. No rutting or scalping, and makes very fast work. I could notice the time savings over the walk behind, and it fit everywhere. Had one chain link fence that was very very tight, but it did fit.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Read all you can about any mower you want to purchase. You can find pros and cons here. Then demo where you intend on using it. There are at least 130 threads with the Gravely 34z if you do a search. I think it is OK for flat lands. Not so OK on hills. It was found that Mike was running the wrong tire pressures, he probably didn't check the pressure when he bought the thing home, and that probably contributed to the consequences he experienced.
    That being said I would not use this mower on props with hills...
    The ugly...
    www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=76007&page=1&pp=10&highlight=gravely+34z

6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I would be cutting small, Flat yards with out any slopes,

Its funny, the gravely 34 ztr is actually cheaper than an exmark 36"tt hp!!

7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

It has a rough ride, and hydros are sensitive [over responsive] at full throttle. A hover round on steriods...lol.lol. :)