the grass ain't growin'

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greengo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Greengo

Greengo LawnSite Member

i started cutting grass part time this year. i'm doing just 2 or 3 yards a week for now. this wasn't a real good year to get started i guess. it is so dry and hot in atlanta that the grass is not growing. a couple of the yards this week just didn't need to be mowed. i hate cutting grass that don't need to be mowed. it seems like it takes me longer to cut them than a yard that needs to be mowed. oh well.
  2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

How high are you cutting grass?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's the same thing here in virginia, sporadic growth and I have to be real careful because when it's this dry, cutting it can burn it, too. I cut mine at 3" always, some of the guys would make me believe that a 4" height will do much better but my mower streaks noticeably at 3.25, heck at 3.5" the streaking is near intolerable, at 4" why even bother changing this height setting when I can just turn off the blades and run over it then charge the customer LOL

Be cool man, it will get better.
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

WHat is this streaking look like?

I ask because when I raised my blade it looked like it was just lying the grass down, flatting it out or something.
  5. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

Hey Greengo just keep your head up and ride it out. Since you're just part time maybe it won't hurt you to bad depending on what equipment you have, as well as how you acquired it.

I bought all my equipment last year during a 6-8 week drought, I didn't plan on working at all though. Lo and behold I ended up making a good run towards the end of the season just by fate. I initially planned on starting this season, but through some networking I ended up with about 8 lawns. Anything is possible my friend just keep your eyes open for any opportunities. Also try to think of some other services your 2 or 3 yards might need and suggest them. I'm new to the game but if you do some reading on here you can get some ideas. Good luck in the future!
  6. Greengo

Greengo LawnSite Member

yeah, 4 of my yards are fescue and 2 are bermuda. i usually cutt the fescue at 3" amd the bermuda about 2". i didn't cut the fescue or the bermuda this week because it just didn't need it. i have 1 to do tomorrow and i think i'll be able to cut it. it is a big bermuda yard down the street from me and its ready to cut. my own yard is fescue and i'm cutting it at 4" the last couple of cuts. i bought a toro zero turn this year for my own yard and decided to let someone else pay for it. most of the yards i'm cutting are small enough to cut with the little honda.