the grass doesn't cut!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffithtlc, Aug 7, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

Has anyone else had the problem with the finer grasses that just lay down when you try to mow them? It has been considerably dry, but is seems that the grass just gets blown down under the deck and doesn't meet the blades. our blades are sharp, and I have tried idling down. Any suggestions?

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Silly question...........are blades upside down?

Are your tire pressures low? causing the deck to sit lower and the front pushing the grass down.

Once drought stressed grass gets flattened. Not much other than a rake will get it to stand back up. So with that and your description I would venture to guess your foot prints stay there for days.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

highlifts/doubles

maybe mulching kit to maximize suction of each blade

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

do you know what type of grass this is?

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like another attack of the wicked "Floppy Grass"?

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Sounds like rye to me.

7. I've seen grass get like that on over fertilized partial shade lawns.
    I havn't found much you can do with the mower except what ElephantNest said about the double blades.
    Core aeration will help the grass though. Aerate a lot and it will thin out the grass population. Then the blades will get wider and more like normal.
    It takes about one full year to see results though.
    Dave

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Have a couple lawns like that, doubles did ok on the scag (had gator over lift) but the eXmark is doing fine on them and it has regular lift blades on.
    This is one of those lawns:

jul24114.jpg

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

YES! I have several lawns like that. It is almost like the grass is too thin or light to cut, it just falls dead before the mower gets there. Seems to happen a lot in well shaded or damp areas. The one thing I noticed that helps me is to drop the blades a notch or two. Might be a PITA if it only occurs in certain areas, but it will be worth it if this tends to bother you a lot. (especially if customers complain about it). try it out. hope this helps

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Quite common with "big green" lawns. like tru-brown and such (and several privates, anymore). Thin wimpy lawn, Stressed from too much N. This is a bad combination in the heat.
    Expert, when you want your lawns so thick that there is no ROOM for the blades to lay over, and the grass has much more resilience, you let me know. I can give you grass that you'd LOVE to be cutting, it makes YOU look good, as well.;)