The grass hasn't grown in a year and a half

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mark_the_psycho, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

One of my neighbors that I mow for hasn't needed her whole back yard cut in a year and a half, I kid you not. She has 4 kids and so do the people between my house and hers, between them and a few other neighbors, there's almost always 12 kids playing kickball in my client's back yard. I can not figure out why the grass won't grow, she has a sprinkler system and ChemLawn, but it won't grow. When I mow I only make 2 passes around the perimeter of the yard and use the weedeater (I know someone's going to correct me and point out that weed eater is a brand, I don't care, that's what I say and I'm sticking to it) on a few spots of crabgrass. I am out of ideas, anyone have any suggestions?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the kids off the grass, aerate, over-seed and fertilize and then keep the kids off the grass some more.

They are trampling it all the time and it cannot grow. If they want a lush yard, they have to play at the park....

3. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

You ever notice what stadium turf looks like AFTER a football game?? It looks like a bunch of hogs have been rootin'---its torn up, isn't it???!!

Same way with a bunch of neighborhood boys---day in and day out running up and down the grass----it just wears the turf down

Ever notice a Cow lot??? Bare of grass isn't it???---pull the cows off the lot and you can just sit back and watch the grass grow again

Don't waste your time fertilizing and whatever---as long as the boys are playing---it won't grow--no matter what you put on it!!!

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It is probably compacted and well on its way to dying. Tell them it needs to be aerated.

5. mark_the_psycho

That's what I thought, so I triple aerated it, didn't make it grow, but it did help keep the kids off it for awhile.

6. mark_the_psycho

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I've just got to ask with that line in the signature and I'll get blasted for it I'm sure...dude..are you a flamer?

8. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe he is a fan of dupont..

9. mark_the_psycho

Why else would I have it?:hammerhead:

10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

ok. at least we got that question out of the way!