The grass is coming out! Need opinions on Lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys. I haven't spent a lot of time on this site lately, but I need to opinions.

Since the grass is starting to grow a little in recent days, I have pretty much decided I need to get another mower asap. I just dumped a couple hundred bucks into the Y/K ZTMax as normal maintenance and it dawned on me, this mower is 4 years old and is starting to show it's age. Still mows good, but is starting to cost a little more to operate. We have the 721 Grasshopper too, but it nowhere near keeps up with the 61" Kees. Like I said, it's been a good mower, but parts availability has not been one of their strong points...at least here. So all along I have known my next purchase would be a Lazer.

Now here is where the opinions come in to help out :) I'm leaning toward the EPS 60" and have pretty much been waiting it out for the 28 EFIs to arrive. Is it really worth waiting for? I was quoted $8500 for a new 26 EFI today, which is pretty good for this area. Not sure what to expect as far as price increases once the season gets rolling and have no idea what pricing will be on the 28.

Another angle that has kept me from buying. Do I really need the EFI? The 25 Kohler on the Yazoo/Kees has been pretty reliable and not really underpowered. Only in the heaviest St. Augustine in wet conditions would it have been nice to have the extra power. Is owning the EFI going to balance out? In other words, will the fuel savings with the fuel injected engine over the carbureted engine eventually be greater than the initial cost and added maintenance the EFI requires (if it does, in fact, require more)? Any opinions would be great.

2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an EFI and will probably never go back.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It Sounds Like A Leftover 2002. Great Mower Lots Of Updates. You Will Never Go Back For alot Of reasons And The Fuel Savings Is Great. If You Take One Out For a Test Drive Look At The Fuel Going Out and When You Come In.
    Good Luck John

4. Keith

It probably is an 02. I asked if they would honor that price on another if that one sold. They were a little hesitant but said they could do it, which led me to believe it had been in the showroom for a few months. That doesn't mean the ones at the distributor aren't 2002's either. They may have a few to get rid of as well.

5. John Gamba

from ct

The 2002 Is Very updated Then Any Other Lazer Before. Even My 01's, They Did alot to how the deck Is Hung, Where They Mounted the computer The Computer Connections And So On. Don't Be afraid Of The 26fi It's Great!! You Can Run Doubles all Day Long With The 200lb Clutch. Oh They Have Bigger Front Forks To. The Only Thing Better On The 03's Is The Tracking Knob Instead Of Nuts and Bolts. I'd send You a Picture But the New computer I Have Won't Let Me Yet.
    John.

6. Keith

John, did I read somewhere a while back that you were looking into switching to Hustlers?

7. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

If you want a 28, you better get on a list now. Guys that are ordering now arent getting theirs until July. Luckily, i ordered right when eXmark made the post on here about the new machine adn I'll have mine at the beginning of march. Yes, EFI is well worth it. More power and MUCH better fuel economy.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Yes I Have had a Problem With My Decks In Heat stressed Grass. Excel Has a Different Baffle Flow That Might Help In The Heat Stress Grass. But They Only Have One dealer For a Big area And they Don't Have a Bigger Bagger. I really Like The Updates That Exmark Did In 2002 Like The Lazer EPS I Have Owned Every FI Since they Started Making Them. This Is The Best Tractor That You can Get IMO. In The Cold Wet Growing Blue Grass that We Had This Past Spring I Put Double Blades On And Never Looked Back. I Don,t think I Could have Mowed With Out Bagging if It wasn't For The Lazer with the Ultracut & Double High Lifts. I Also Had I slight problem with exmark. I Would Like To Have Exmark Make a Baffle That You Can Unbolt And Put A Different One In For Different Condition's. One Thats more Relaxed. And I Found Away To solve My Problem I Think.

If It Wasn't For the Lazer I Would Be On The Super Z. And Iam Going To Test One This season. Will Tell You how it Go's.

John.

9. Keith

It looks like I am going to be getting the leftover 2002 EPS 60". The price seems ok at $8500. The mower shows 2.6 hours, but appears to never have been in grass. They want a bit more for the 03's (like $500-600 for the 26) and I don't think it's worth it to me. And quite frankly, I'm tired of chasing around for a better deal. Of course someone here might be able to change my mind :cool:

10. John Gamba

from ct

You Will never look Back.
    John.