1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the grass wont come up!!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by scagboy227, Mar 31, 2006.

1. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

i planted this grass seed 2 weeks ago and the temps just warmed up this week but it still should be coming up but not one sign!!! i put no straw on it cause i dont like it and i never put starting fertilizer but still shouldnt it still come up a little ? i water it everyday

2. brettmc

brettmc Banned

What kind of grass is it?
  3. scagboy227

kentucky 31 tall fescue
  4. scagboy227

any help????

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Grounds cold,still early to germinate i don't have much luck in the spring with new grass.
  6. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

What method did you use to get the seed in the ground? Has there been any kind of fertilization done to the lawn in general? At what rate did you apply the seed? Why do you never use starter fert? All of this needs to be known before you get an answer to the problem.
  7. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

The area is pretty distinctive. Possibly there is something chemically off with the soil? Have you tested it? Why not try fertilizer? What temps are you seeing?
  8. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

First why would anyone use K 31 on a yard? Use turf type fescue not K31. Do soil test find out what's wrong.
  9. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Hate to say it, but you sound like a few of my customers. Two weeks and no grass!!!. Last week it was cold as the whizzes, it aint going to germinate when you are still getting frost and the day time temps are only 50 degrees. You should get rain in your area today and maybe tomorrow. Temps in the 70's. the grass will probably comeup next week.

For those that think you must use fertilizer when you seed, well your wrong. Seed contains everything it needs to germinate except warmth, sunlite, and water. Applying fertilizer at the same time as applying seed only slows germination times. It great to have the fertilizer present once the seed does germinate but it isnt neccesary to apply the fertilizer at the same time as the seed.