1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The green industry's biggest flops/mistakes/regrets?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Liberty Lawnworks, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't want to turn this into a spindle thread....
    But, I've been using turf tracer's for years now- I don't keep them forever, but I do rack up the hours-the 2012 has 1thousand hours now. I've never had a spindle failure on any unit to date.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have put 1000's of hours on Exmark mowers. The spindles have lasted just as long as the greaseable ones I used to run on Toros. Hitting solid objects and getting dog cables wrapped around them really shortens their life. Also, it is a good idea to check the tightness of the top nuts every so often. If one should begin to get loose the bearings will not last as long.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Back to the crap.

The Sutech Stealth pure flop

BOP mowers. Arguably an unknown failure (?)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Don't think I saw it on here, but how about the "recycled rubber mulch" from old tires... I don't know how popular that stuff was but the local school systems bought the stuff by the 10s of thousands of dollars for playground use only to find out that some pieces had steel belts sticking out and pricking the children. That sure cost in terms of cleanup and lawsuits....

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Seashore paspalum is another one. Can't control weeds in in. Must be mowed like a putting green or else. Don't tell me about salt to control weeds. The weeds that do grow here are because they are very salt tolerant.

Loss of Carbamates, OP's, and Kelthane.

Reel mowers running on rear wheels and front casters rather than rollers. That brilliant engineering idea makes a reel gouge and scalp just as much as a rotary mower.