1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The green industry's biggest flops/mistakes/regrets?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Liberty Lawnworks, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Had one. Loved what it could do, hated the amount of maintenance required to keep it running. Might have been a lemon or who I had running it or both.

I replaced with the Navigator. Far better machine IMHO.
  2. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Walk behind trimmers!! Seriously? Just get a 19" Cub Cadet PowerMore OHV Push Mower!!
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

If standers are so stupid, why is every major manufacturer building and selling them?
  4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Because they are stupid duh haha
  5. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my stander... why do you guys hate them so Much?
  6. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Sand topdressing and sand-based rootzones are used for a very specific purpose. The USGA Recommendations for a Method of Putting Green Construction do not call for straight sand -- they call for a rootzone mixture meeting a specific set of particle size distributions and specific physical properties. Among those physical properties is that rootzone mixtures be 1 to 5% organic matter by weight.

Topdressing with straight sand is common because sand serves to dilute organic matter in the upper portion of the rootzone, in order to reach that 1 to 5% goal.

If you're managing athletic fields, construction and maintenance standards are available from ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) and STMA (Sports Turf Managers Association). Those are different from USGA (US Golf Association) recommendations because they serve different purposes.

Trying to manage lawns the same way putting greens are managed is going to require putting green budgets and efforts.
  7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag Pro-V...Fail! Scags new walkbehind without the velocity deck ....Fail!! And I love Scag.

As far as standers go IMO have their niche just like Walkers. When I tested a stander it was extremely efficient up to a 1/4 acre to almost 1/2 acre. If all my properties were that size all I would run are standers. They are way faster than a walkbehind(9 mph on the one I tested). After 1/2 acre a ZTR was more efficient.
  8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Stand on mower are like dirt bikes, do you see dirt bike riders setting down? Hardly ever, same thing with a stand on mower, your legs adsorb the shock insted of your spian, I can't ride a sit down mower ever agian, and I've been chopping grass for over 40 years now.

Seats? We don't need no stinking seats.
  9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

actually when I worked for a guy several years ago mowing all he ran was walkers. first commercial mower i ever used. beautiful cut, but slow and a rough ride, and they still don't turn in as tight of spaces as a stander. come leaf cleanups they are great.

It sounds to me like you are a die hard walker guy and hate everything else. you'll find plenty of people on here who hate them, and talk about overpriced!
  10. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Imprelis. What a debacle!