The guy who sprays the lawn said that............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, May 24, 2008.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

For those who don't do lawn spraying (it's virtually impossible to do both here in FL, very hard to get the license), do you find that the spray guys that can't make a yard green will come up with anything to shift the blame to others? The lawn guy is using dull blades, cutting too short...........

I have showed people the setting I cut on to show them I am not cutting to short but it does no good. If the spray guy says it, it is as good as gold. He will say there must be something wrong with the mower. But, I found something that works wonders. Had someone come out and say I was cutting too short (per the spray guy). I asked them what he said I should cut it on. They said he told them 3-4 inches. So I asked them if they had a soda in the house (most do), they said yes and I got a can from the truck, put it under the deck to show the height of the blades. A soda can is 5 1/4 inches tall. I was cutting on 5. So I asked if they wanted me to go 2 inches shorter. They were kind of mad at my attitude, but it's the last time I heard anything about the mowing height.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent story there with the can.:weightlifter:

Over the years, I have developed an attitude of almost getting too defensive when someone tries to blame me for something I know isn't my fault. I actually do my own spraying and ferts. but I have several fert. customers who mow their own lawn or actually have some lowball Hispanic outfit mow for them. There have been times I've pulled up to do an application and the fescue is cut around 2". Sometimes it's obviously ragged and torn on top. That's what they get for using low ballers with blades as sharp as a 9 iron.

But at other times, a customer's yard seemed to be cut well and we still had problems in spots. A few times I've told them "I don't why it's doing that". Blaming the mowing crew for something they obviously didn't do is cowardly.

3. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Why are some customers so particular. When you don't do it yourself and put forth labor intensive motivation, how can one complain about the job that is being done. Granted the job is done well. Mowing is really harder than it sounds because everyone has different expectations, whether it is the person who wants you to cut earthworms heads off when you mow but still have a weed free green lawn. It is almost impossible to please everyone. I used to sharpen my blades after every 3 to 4 hours of mowing but no one ever patted me on the back and thanked me for it. Instead I get "the last time you were here you didn't blow the grass off good enough or something like that. So now I don't stripe as much, I dont sharpen as much and I don't do the extra hard work because no one really appreciates it. There are very few people that do and they only because they realize I can do a better job than they can.

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You've made a few good points! It's true striping isn't noticed much, so is sharpening blades, the customer notices only the obvious so it's best to focus on that.

Problem with mowing is you're dealing with a job even a trained monkey can do. So, the profits are dirt low and the satisfaction is the same in most cases.

I'm sure glad I've got our company to cut back on mowing. We get more satisfaction from repairs on condos exterior envelopes, the co. makes more moola and I've got bonus after bonus coming in.

Woohoo... :)

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya the spray guy has made customer relations more complicated for me at times. The spray guy IS the problem!!:hammerhead::laugh:

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It just seems like its an easy cop out to blame us when they cant figure something out. I actually notice it more from the big national companies, but some small guys as well. The soda can thing does work wonders though, I did test it first though, to make sure I would be right.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

LOL, I'd hope so, nothing worse then putting your foot in your mouth. :) I'll have to remember that.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I will have to remember the soda can deal, thanks:waving:

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

pop cannnnnnnnn you crazy people from the south. sorry i just had too. When all eles fails blame the guy whos lower on the todem pole

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My problem with the fert companies is that they apply way too much N to make it grow fast and "hopefully stay green." I fert most of the turf we mow but there are a few that have been with, that famous TG company, for so long that I can't get them to change. 1 week after they fert the grass goes from growing 2 inches a week to 9 - 12 inches a week. These people are exstatic with the excessive top growth and think this is the way it should be. Makes our lives a pain till the n runs low and gets back to normal and then a couple of weeks later another over application goes on. arghhhhh!