The hard way to get a new truck

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by lakesregionscapes, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

This is how we finished our year up last fall...
    Fire station was 4 1/2 minutes away - took the fire truck 20 minutes to get down the right dirt road to find us! So much for 911. (Had the fire crew covering from the next town over - or they might have found us sooner). Insurance was liability only, because of the trucks age (total a late '80's truck, and you'll be lucky to get 1'500.- out of them; not worth it); sooo, unfortunately we got to eat this one.... The truck was my husband's baby - big motor, sweet interior. Didn't catch anything else - was in the woods, next to customer's summer house....close call! Did loose a brand new backpack blower, and some hand tools - keep looking for missing things, and blaming it on the truck....
    Spent all winter hunting for a used full-size bed 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup 4x4 at a reasonable price, in decent condition... Apparently, around here only short-bed crewcabs are "in". Finally found a nice '98 Ram to replace our "flammable ford", (was an '86 F250), and "too broke to fix" '88 Dodge Ram....
    Only thing was - not the truck we intended to replace this year. The dump still needs to go before it catches too.

Just remember - it can always get worse....

Picture042[1].JPG

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Details please...What was the cause if you know?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, what exactly was the cause of the fire. I mean I doubt it just spontaniously combusted...

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i cant understand why the fire dept couldent find u with the nice smoke signals u were sending up

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd be surprised;) Do you know what caused it?

6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

As a volunteer fire fighter. It takes time to get to the station and then to the call depending on your distance from the fire house. It usually takes us 5 to as much as 15 minutes to get the truck on the road. I don't understand how they could miss that fire though.:dizzy:

7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

That looks pretty rough. It's happened to me before with a little S-10. **** happens I guess! Nothin you can do about something like that.

8. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

As a Volunteer at one of the Busiest stations In MD www.wlhvfd.com. We run 3000 calls a year. But Even when our responce time is 5 minutes, Sometimes........ you see smoke, and with the wind blowing, you can drive around it in a circle before you find the road it is on......

ANOTHER RANT..... Check you house, my pet peeve is numbers not on houses, or numbers spelled out. IE nineteen fifty five... i nstead of 1955.

Ok Im done.

Also how did you loose the blower, couldent have grabbed it?
    Here is a truck that hit a tractor trailer last week, he would have walked away, but we held him down, damn drunk drivers, in on the right

42855[1].jpg

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Don't you know mike?

It was a Ford.:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously its good to hear that no one was hurt or that it was hooked up to a trailer.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What caused the fire? Any damage to the customers property?