The hardest thing about this industry for me is...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Total Grounds Maintenance, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The one was a friend he helped out. Nice way to repay friendship by screwing up his business. The kid does sound clueless and unproductive. At least he didn't screw something up by free thinking. I have a couple unemployed friends I flat out said "no, this business is not for you" when they wanted to work for me. Friends, family and business are almost always a bad mix.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

i got a couple kids that work there tails off but there dads are all in the trades so maybe that's why

3. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think not/cant mowing the yard is that appalling at all. Its not for everyone. Doesnt mean they are lazy or cant (sometimes it does), it just means they choose not to or dont have to. In this industry, the more people who dont mow yards, the better for me

4. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

Mine is when your transmission fluid looks like a milk shake and you have a lot of work that needs to be done! :cry:

5. sunny days 101

sunny days 101 LawnSite Member

you have to spell every little detail out. there's a lot of dumb people in the world! Here's a new one, make sure you tell them they can not use the customers bathroom. we were doing mulch for banks all day and this guy was going into each bank to take a crap all day. nobody noticed he was gone..took til the 3rd bank before it was realized. so who knew a bank had a public bathroom, you know the teller had to wait outside the bathroom til he was done for security reasons? and what does he tell her "oh, well its gonna be a while". good god. People are idiots. There was a mcdonalds next door, what gives? so if you tell them not to use the customers bathroom then they'll just whip it out in the parking lot to go....so you have to spell it all out. that guy doesnt work for us anymore and he probably wonders why.

6. Patriot Services

Who needs to crap 3 times before lunch? Amazes me that grown adults need to be taught how to act on a customers property.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

The best is the ones that just light up a cigarette.

8. Patriot Services

After urinating in the bushes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. RECESSION PROOF MOWING

RECESSION PROOF MOWING LawnSite Senior Member

they aren't here for their health. This level of person isn't a brain surgeon, isn't a circuit court judge, isn't an owner of a thriving business...for a reason. Your dumbsh*t employee is just like the hundreds of thousands of other dumbsh*t workers out there. You can't teach common sense. That's why I hire halfway house help because when I'm done with 'em, kick 'em to the curb and grab the next in line. I've had great help that last couple years because the director only feeds me the best of the downtrodden. If you own a restaurant, get used to low level employees. If you run a landscape business, same applies.

10. Sensation Man

Sensation Man LawnSite Member

I can never find good responsible help. The few times I did have good guys they were too cocky and wanted too much $$$. That & they would always try and override my methods.