The hardest thing about this industry for me is...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Total Grounds Maintenance, Apr 28, 2011.

1. avernon0112

avernon0112 LawnSite Member

I usually go thru 20 guys a season. Some guys won't work past lunch. They would rather draw a check from the government or live off a family member than work. I have beat my brains out trying to find a Forman or a spray tech. I have interviewed a ton of people tried a lot of them too. It is like no one has a drive to be better or do they have a little common sense.
    I was wondering if I was the only one having these problems. I think this has been my biggest struggle as a manager. I still have hope!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That would be the " I'm a failed lawn monkey owner but I still know everything and I failed because of everybody else" demographic. Increasing in numbers every time I try to hire.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PineyPower

PineyPower LawnSite Member

Can't stand that. And they always have a better idea than you. I'm not saying I'm "Nazi boss" or anything but I am the boss. Normally when I want to do it a certain way, there's a reason why I want to do it that way.

4. Sensation Man

Sensation Man LawnSite Member

I've reached the point where I gave up on finding good help. All the good workers around me have already been swept up by the bigger more desireable company's. Even if & when I do catch a good worker, it's just a matter of time before they become a flight risk. And most of them around here are undocumented anyway. That alone is a huge problem with the help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Sensation Man

My guys always refuse to outline the smaller properties with the 21" Sensation before cutting with the 36" machine. That has always been my trademark method for cutting smaller houses. If I dissapier & let the guys cut the rout alone they would never use the Sensation except on the narrow sidewalk patch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PineyPower

PineyPower LawnSite Member

Hey man, same boat. My favorite is when you find a "good guy". He works great for a couple of days. When you finally get comfortable with having fly solo, he either does it his way or a way that makes no sense what so ever. Walking backwards with a push mower, across a whole back yard? Kinda weird. I love stripes on lawns. My snapper 21 makes awesome stripes. When I don't see stripes, I am no longer a happy camper.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

2 things: stay solo (avoid bad employees) and spray roundup in the beds (takes less than 30seconds instead of 2hrs pulling by hand or 45min with a hoe)

....Just sayin!!!! :laugh: :cool2:

8. Sensation Man

I never have enough time to do all my spraying, especially @ times when I'm working solo! I always feel overwelmed when I work solo. Even @ times when I've had a sidekick, I don't like leaving all the blowing off to him while I tend to my spraying. This is where having 2 guys would make all the difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device