The Heat Is On!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Charles, May 28, 2006.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Can the newbies take the sweltering Heat? The stifling humidity? High humidity that makes you feel like your a weedeating under water--hot water.
    Sure its easy to breeze through the spring. Yesterday and today and the rest of the week temps will be over 90 degrees. 90 right now.
    Can you take the heat?:waving: :weightlifter:

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NOPE!! Just exactly like every year half the newbies, esp the "non-professional types" will be toast (pun intended) very shortly now :laugh:

3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

That is why there are two key times to advertise a year:

1) Right when people start thinking of having their grass cut in the beginning of the year.

2) When the temperatures start to rise enough to where people don't want to do it themselves and the newbies give up customers because they think it just isn't worth it.

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep this is my favorite time of year you get to watch the scrubs really sweat because they don't know how to stay cool and how to be efficient in the heat. Its the cleansing of the scrubs one thats even better is a drought that gets rid of most unstable companies but it hurts everyone too.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Tell ya what, the heat is hitting me hard this year and I don't know why! I was getting used to the nice 60 degree weather, but give me a couple days of this 90 degree crap and I'll be set. Sweat my butt off today but I still did what I had to.

I agree that now is a good time to advertise. I've already started getting the "my guy quit showing up" and then i sell them on the fact that I have a professional company that will be there and thats why I'm worth more. It works very well.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have truly come to love how summer wipes the map clean.

It's not just the heat, it's the guys who done browned out the better portion of their lawns by insisting it be cut weekly, just to hear it from the customer when one day they get so Po'd that they yell at them to STOP cutting this LAWN NOW! And, contract or not, since the lawn is dead, there will be no more income until that lawn recovers, which won't happen until someone has a chance to aerate and re-seed in september, most likely not the guy who killed it.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bring it on Charles...bring it on. :dancing:

8. kc2006

Yea poo on that weekly cutting. This year I switched to a new style of business. I've got rid of all those pita's that want weekly cutting and have marketed to people who truely care about their turf and want it as nice as a golf course. So I kept the customer base limited to 15 accounts, they get cut every day. First time I went out and cut at 1" like on the greens (well I couldn't get down any more like they do on the greens since the mower would only go to 1") I went back the next day to mow and it was brown. Got rid of that idea fast.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

93 in Chicago today,90 again tomorrow.

LOL KC--is the ex-lax irritant that is topsites, rubbing off on you LMAO!!

10. kc2006

He throws his stuff so I'll throw it right back. Plus I find it amuzing to mess with people :D