The "Hood" -an idiot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Sep 25, 2000.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I was mowing the last remaining ghetto home on my route. Nice old woman lives alone there. Near the alley I came aross a crumpled paper towel, next to the paper towel was a large piece of human feces. Upon a distant closer look I noticed a tell tale sign on the paper towel that confirmed it was from a human.

Last year during the fall I discovered a "Molotov cocktail" in her bushes, during a clean-up.

I do believe that this latest "crap" will be my last trip into the "Hood" to make a buck.

Although this poor neighborhood is only ten miles from the affluent areas, they are worlds apart.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure someone isn't after your business with high nitrogen fertilizer rolls? They say the lucky guys step in shi% and come out smellin like a rose. Or mayby it was a guy with a very large aerator core.

Sorry for making a little fun as I grew up in the city and know what kind of crap (hehe) you can get into. At least your not dodging bullets.

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The grass should grow well in that spot. I should hire the guy for the other 49 properties. Bullets dont fly before noon:)

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I would drop her also. Sooner or later some of your equipment will sprout legs and walk away!

5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a place where I used to work. Our Co. van was broken into 3 or 4 times so someone could do that in the spare tire. I wouldn't even ask any of our people to clean it out, I had the dealer do it. We found crack pipes and hypo's every day when we picked up the trash around the building. No employee was allowed to work after dark. I was sure glad to leave that place. Amazing what people will do, huh?

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Seen plenty of diapers with full load and hypos from our local junkies but no human dump sites. I think your find was like the opposite of hit'n the lotto!!!!!!

7. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds familiar. I used to have some work in downtown Ft Lauderdale. I had to have somebody in the front yard at all times. The wolves would begin to gather if you were there to long.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

consider the old lady. her plight isn't her fault. we all smack a turd every now and then...but I admit a human one would be a first for me!

try to look at it this way...if you can drive that far and make a profit, just cut the property early in the week and about nine or ten am. junkees and gang bangers shouldn't be out that early.

I have a rubber coated 7/16 inch cable with padlock that I lace through my equipment as it sits on the trailer. it's not perfect but it keeps things from walking off, at least so far.

GEO

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Some areas over here are real toilets. I usually carry some sort of pain inflicting implement with me while I'm working.
    This may suprise you guys,but here in Australia we have a fairly high crime rate. Car theft is the second highest in the world after Britain. At least we don't have drive by shootings.

Karl

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

When you learn to talk the talk, and walk the walk, the miscreants in these neighborhoods will leave you alone. I make good money in these lower-level areas 'cuz guys are scared somebodys gonna mess with their stuff. Generally, if they cant grab it and run they leave it alone.

Buy an old holster at a yard sale or gun show and leave the empty holster on your dashboard. This has been my best crime-prevention purchase as of yet.

A bike lock still goes thru all the equipment, and I wont do any property which requires snaking thru blind alleys (dont wanna get boxed in like a turtles you-know-what).