The hunt for the perfect 21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howard Roark, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We use all 21" mowers with great success, sans a few flaws. Quite a few of my customers have very thick St. Augustine, and the Toro Proline cutting height only goes to 3 1/4. Even on the highest setting, and actually out of the setting resting under the bracket this isn't high enough for these lawns.

Therefore, despite my love of Toro's drive system I'm on the hunt for another set of 21's, ones that we can outfit 3 trucks with next year. (9 mowers total).

I demo'd a Honda, didn't like the handlebar design.
    Looking into Snapper and Ariens/Gravely. Does anyone have any experience with these, and any idea of their top cutting heights? I need a good 21 with a 4" cutting height and 4mph speeds that will be cutting 25-20 lawns per day.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You might have to build your own over the winter.

I've been kicking this idea around myself.
    A real commercial hand mower.
    But so far my moonlit ideas are not self propeled.
    Just doesn't quite 'mesh' so far.
    But I've really settled on little so far either.

But I do want it to cut taller as you do.
  3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Try snapper pros. Their hi vac commercials are a waste to bag with in my opinion. It fills instantly in st. aug and have to keep emptying. I have one and love it for mulching.
  4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

will bigger wheels fit?
  5. Howard Roark

from Texas

That just may be a damn good idea! Question is where do I get em'. They need to be commercial quality.
  6. Howard Roark

from Texas

All I do is mulch, never bag. What's the cutting height on your snapper...commercial model that is?
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have had good success with snappers.

last year we retired two 7 year old snappers, and replaced them with a honda and a JD jx75....what a piece of crap......

we just ordered two more commercial snappers.. the ones with the rear discharge and the one lever wheel adjustment
  8. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Have you tried talking to Toro? If enough commercial people did maybe they would engineer something on the newer ones and sell something to retrofit on the older ones.
    Hey maybe you could put 4 wheels off one of those HD models of Toro with the high back wheels! Put them on all four corners so it looks like bike wheels on there!! HAAHAH That would be hilarious looking!! :rolleyes:
    Amazing that my HD Toro jacks sky high but the proline doesnt. I can cut grass 1.5 ft high if I side discharge. Ive made a lot of money off a lot of overgrown s#it holes with that $350 beauty!!
  9. Howard Roark

from Texas

I think I'll call them this week to see what they have to say. I have one of those recyclers from HD, and I love it. I use it on my own lawn because I grow my St. Aug very thick, highest setting. My lawn is green in December.
    Not sure why the commercial model would be less than the resi.
    I could try your "Monster Truck" lawnmower idea!
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

21" Mowers do Not Leave a Good Cut above 3" due to blade designs. If you must cut 4", which I doubt small res. cutomers will accept anyway, use a 32" or 36" hydro Walk.