The Husqvarna HVT52 Hover Trimmer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Sep 14, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

So, who has used one of these crazy trimmers from Husky? Anyone seen one being used? I've never seen one...just on the website. Someone had brought it to my attention in another post for trimming a steep hill. I'm not sure how exactly this thing will work, but is it worth a try? I can't afford spending hours and hours using a trimmer to wipe out this hillside. If this will work...I will be amazed!

Here it is...

HVT52_2003_104x200.jpg

2. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

when i worked at a golf course....here in Augusta, GA, we used a Hover Mower brand, similar in design to the one pictured on our bunkers (sandtraps). It simply glides on top of the turf and cuts, nothing to it really.

If the hill you are trying to maintain is large and open, a trimmer will be much faster because these things are most effecient on the smaller hills such as a bunker face. Also, if the turf is thick, such as the bermuda is down here, you must double cut or else it'll be uneven.

3. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

I haven't seen one being used but I've read info by some who have. The main thing seems to be that you should go up and down to mow from the top of an incline, rather than swing from side to side. Supposedly, they work pretty well. I was at one of OKC's larger dealers yesterday and they had one on the floor, so they must sell.

4. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

it's not true about mowing up and down, you can mow in any direction, side to side or up and down, and you can't tell a difference.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If it didnt work, they wouldnt make it...

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got the Allen hover mower. Works for small hills but I have a retaining pond. does not work there. tears the string out too quick. Works great on small hills though.