The hype about gator blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Professionals Inc., Jul 23, 2007.

1. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

What is with all this hype about gator blades? I use mulch blades on all my decks but I keep hearing about these gator blades. What do they do that is so great? Please educate me!

2. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Some people like them, some don't.

Gator Magnum blades are 1/4" thick and a lot of LCOs love them. I'd highly suggest buying (1) set of blades and trying them to see if they are the choice for your application.

3. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

I think it is deck and turf condition specific as to whether or not you will like them.

I put them on my Craftsman GT5000 and they worked great. The deck clumped up less and the cut looked much better.

I put them on my Ferris with a mulching kit and the cut was terrible and there was lots of clumping.

If you aren't happy with the quality of your current machine then they might be worth a try.

I don't think they will help much if you are already getting good results.

4. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys!

5. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I had regular high lift blades on my 36 and 48 walk behinds. I switched over to the Gator blades and get less to no clumping. I let the grass discharge from the side, I don't block the discharge chute. Lawns look great!!!

6. jdlen

jdlen LawnSite Member

I don't think anyone would be happy using them with a mulch kit due to the design of a true mulch blade (two step cutting surface).
    Gators are meant for side discharge basically.
    Here at our store we sell about 50-50 gators/OEM, some like em some don't. I just tried my first set and my wife said she noticed a difference, and I didn't tell her I put them on, therefore I know there is a difference. But, just like as said above, certain conditions they work great.

7. ohanyan1

ohanyan1 LawnSite Member

This conversation has been repeated time and time again on this board. Gator blades were engineered to be used without a mulching baffle.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=189843

8. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

I use them in the fall for mulching. But now i just use high-lifts.

9. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Has anybody tried these blades with a JD 7-Iron II deck?

I wonder what the results are with grass and leaves. I'm considering buying a bagger for my 737 for leaves this fall, but the Gator blade alternative is much cheaper and perhaps quicker (don't have to keep dumping the bags), and could get the jobs done more quickly.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same question (JD 717A), with the intention of using Gators for Fall cleanup. I have no interest for grass mowing, just Fall leaf work. I do not have a set for my JD now.

I have two kinds of Gator blades for my Exmark 36" Viking. One is "regular," the other is considered "high-lift." The regular blades don't have much lift, and do not do a good job of mowing. And, there is inadequate discharge force to load a bagger. The high-lift models will bag, and will discharge pretty well. But, the quality of cut is less than my standard notched high-lift blades (which I use all the time).

I do use the regular Gator blade in the Fall to mulch leaves. They work great for me in that application, but not for any turf work.