1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The ideal plow truck....

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 26, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

If you were going to buy a NEW pickup to plow and salt with, what would it be and how would you equip it? I may be getting a new truck to plow with... and basically, I need some advice, pros and cons, etc.[​IMG]

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well i'm a chevy man i would get the new 2500HD which is 9,200LB gvw and equip it with a duramax diesel allison 5 spd auto reg. cab power everything put timbrean load bosters on front and rear slide in smith electric spreader with a diamond plow and I would put a whelen light bar with 10 strobe heads ally,and rear work lights.But if i was going to put a sander on it i would go with a dump for the ease of cleaning and weight it will carry.
  3. Guest

Cat320, I just ordered my 2500HD yesterday, they are putting the plow on the truck (8.5 Fisher Straight) tomorrow and I will be picking it up on Wed. I hope, I will let you know how it does.
  4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If it had to be a pick up:

F 350
    4X4 Plow Prep
    7.3 Power Stroke

Swenson Spreader ( stainless or regular is up to you)
    8.5' Fisher v-plow

BTW I am a Ford Man, and have several ford trucks from a ranger to an L 9000

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Chevy guy too... but my neighbor just bought a new F250 Reg. cab long bed, and had a Western 7'6" Pro plow put on it. The front end doesn't drop more than an inch when he lifts that plow up... I was impressed.[​IMG]

6. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

SLC1 please let me know how you like it must be a gas engine if your getting of the lot would like to know how the new engines are,I still prefere diesel.

SlimJimZ71 the fors has a mono beam axel in the front not like the chevy tortion bar that is why it doesn't drop as much but with the timbrem load bosters it will be the same as the ford.

The new chevy truck's look great and have alot more than my '97 but the allison 5 spd will be great plus you can get a pto with it even in the pick ups.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I am partial to GM,but if it were a plow truck,I would seriously consider a Dodge.Dodge will not sag at all with its best in a pickup 5200GVWR front axle,the Dana 60 is the best front end now available for plowing.Dodge also turns on a dime and gives back change,very manueverable,much better than GM or Ford.A GM 2500HD has more payload,but its in the rear,we hang plows on the front,so its still going to sag out if you have the diesel or big block.If it were your only truck Id live with the sag and buy a GM,base 6.0 is very strong.I wouldnt buy a Ford,only because they are difficult to service and havent had good luck with them,others have had great luck-I just know you should buy a 2500HD as the minimum,and get plow prep,trailer tow and aux battery if you buy one.The plow is easy-get a Fisher EZV 8.5. Strong,and easy to get parts for.Do not buy a diesel if its parked to far from power,they need to be plugged in when it gets below 0.,I plug in at 25 and below,they just start and run so much better that way.
  8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Dodge 3/4 ton
    Boss 8'2" Vee

(from experience... don't put a 9'2" Vee on a 3/4 ton)

JD PLOWER LawnSite Member

[*]Black [*]F-350[*]4X4[*]auto[*]Reg. cab[*]8-6"Fisher v-plow[*]2yd ss sander.[*] Diesel

[Edited by JD PLOWER on 11-26-2000 at 10:50 PM]
  10. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

We do only commercial work and i like Chevys,but here is my pick
    Ford F-550 cab & chassis
    permentenly mounted stainless low pro style 4.5 yard Down Eastern spreader
    hydaulically driven no pony motors
    power stroke
    high intensity strobes in the flasher assemblies
    9.2 Boss v-plow
    and most important a qualified driver(they are hard to come by)