the il6 (integral lighting)

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I found what appears to be quite an awesome and simple fixture for hardscapes, etc. and I bought one to demo for a wooden walkway/deck. The deck is approx 3-4" above crushed shells, with an approximately 1 inch lip.

The il6 comes with a stainless steel insert, intended for under bricks, etc., but I am thinking of another option, cutting the insert and mounting flush. To do this, I need a permanent adhesive.

Anyone got a recommendation for steel to wood? Also, I would love a good reference book for adhesives and building industry tips for custom work, if one exists!

The best way to see the fixture is on their website, plus I was unable to copy the pics: integral-lighting.com

Thanks.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

If I were attempting something like what your speaking of I would probably cut the insert with a bandsaw to depth acounding for a an exta inch or so. I would then use a bending brake or hammer and vise to put a bend in the fixture then use screws and anchors to secure it.

or if its long enough just drill a hole in the stainless and then use small wood screws to mount. On the sticky stuff question I would probably look to a marine grade epoxy

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Mike, Before you buy the integral, take a look at the Vista rail light. I think it is a better light overall. It has a frosted lense where the integral is exposed. It has a removable flange for applications like you are wanting to do with having to cut with a saw. Here is the link. They make it in copper too.

http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=461&CatID=1&typeID=5

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Tim, Great suggestion! I have both of them in front of me right now. I agree on the frosted lens and the ability to take the flange off and use the screw holes to anchor it to the wood.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

thats a much better idea. I never cared for the exposed socket and lamp on the integral. Evening star also has a new one as well that has an enclosed lamp. I am waiting a sample for the show of the eveningstar.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Oh yeah, thats right. Anthony was telling me about that. I want to see his as well. Is his LED driven?

7. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

Please take a look at our wall LED light fixture . It features 5 super bright LED's. Uses .2 watts and we warranty it for life. If you send us a PM we will quote a Lawnsite special price if there is no distributor in your area. The main problem with the other units is the bulb is very hot and can cause a burn and they both burn out quickly. see our flyer.

Wall Eye   Flyer.jpg

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I also like the Vista 4260 better.

Hadco makes something similar too (Steplyte) not with a mounting plate, but in 4 different lengths and flip out sockets for easy relamping. I looked at one last year, but bought the Vista for my demo samples.

Here are some pics of the Hadco and where we were going to put them, every other stair... whoever installed the stairs years ago had prewired them, and the wires all checked out OK.

We decided against the idea. Mostly I was concerned about the leaf blower filling them with crap.

DSCN0604.JPG

DSCN0609.JPG

DSCN0615.JPG

DSCN0616.JPG

View attachment Instruction_Sheet.pdf

DSCN0604.JPG

DSCN0609.JPG

DSCN0615.JPG

DSCN0616.JPG

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

wow, these are are good ideas.

The vista is aluminum, and the property is surrounded by salt water (end of a point) and constant sea breezes.

The others seem a little large, I'll look at the specs, but I love this type of fixture.

If I use the copper integral, I can get a steel-cutting blade but I don't have a bandsaw (Billy you are such a farmer). hehe. Before I cut my limbs off, should I use my circular saw or my new grinder?

Nobody knows a good epoxy for stainless steel to wood? The rep told me Locktite ??

10. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Whoa Mike! Back up...I mean back up to Tim's post #3. Vista makes it in copper too w the frosted lens and removeable flange. Its what u want. The thought of u cutting off fingers gives me the willies......plz dont do it......:)