1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Illegals Are Killing Us!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WETSCAPE, Apr 6, 2008.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Man this year will be tuff. I have around 29 stops. A bunch of cuts clean ups etc. This year about 5 of my regular spring clean ups I have lost due to price cutting. I already had 3 more customers call me up and ask if my rates would go up. I can't believe some homeowners don't check for insurance or anything? I pay my guys 18 per hr and charge them out @ 28.00. But they are all legal. How do I survive?
  2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

You're paying 18 bucks an hour for the grunt work? Wow things have changed since i was in high school.
  3. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

You pay them 18 per hour and only charge 28 per man hour? How on earth are you making money if you are actually legal. Gas, workers comp, equipment maintenance and replacement, marketing, insurance, and so on i would imagine eat up more than 10 per hour.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

$18 an hour is way way too much for a worker. My foreman only gets $12 an hour and my laborers get $10 an hour and I pay more than most companies around me. You need to quit paying your guys so dang much.
  5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

fairfield county is one of the, if not the richest counties in the country and the cost of living is high as hell. so his pay is right on. my father inlaw has landscape co in stamford ct and i think thats right around what he pays.
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

His pay is on for that area, his billable rate is off by more then 50%
  7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

that may be true i was just commenting on the guy who said he should lower his price to 10-12 an hour
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

yep, in the northeast $10-$12 per hr gets you a junkie with no transportation
  9. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

last year when i was doing grunt work i only got 7 an hr.
  10. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

It just really depends where you live and the cost of living there. I pay mine $8 an hour