1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Importance of Edging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Jun 6, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a buddy who runs a Lawn Care up in Virginia...He doesn't edge AT ALL. I debate him every time on the importance of it, but he insists it's un-needed. I totally disagree with him....what do you guys think?
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i think he is wrong. like all small details, it gives the lawn a professional, finished appearance.
  3. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

It shows you take pride in your work and really makes the difference from a 'curb appeal' standpoint.

That being said, it also depends on the customer. I have people that I do it for and maintain the edge because they want a professional looking cut... I also have people that are cheap-skates that just want a quick mow and blow and could care less if I spend an extra 5 or 10 minutes maintaining the edge.

I always try to give the customer a chance to mention it when we begin service and/or use it to upsell for an extra $5 or $10 per cut to provide them with the service.
  4. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

As long as he thinks this way; your lawns will continue to appear more professionally maintained and hopefully more business will follow.
  5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Edging is par for the course around here, with few exceptions. However, if your buddy is still able to attract and keep a customer base that allows him to make a living without edging, more power to him.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To me, edgers are handheld ditchwitches. The ONLY reason I bought an edger is because a handheld ditchwitch is easier than a shovel on my back: I use it to dig those little trenches around mulch areas or flowerbeds people like so much, and that is the only use I have for that rotary steel blade tool.

It does dig small trenches nicely, it really does. Depending on the angle, I can make it as thin or wide as they want.

I've never edged when cutting grass, I use the weedtrimmer instead and I can trim a vertical line just as quick thou I prefer angled (or beveled) because it's easier to hold the trimmer at 45-60 degrees than upright.

I have used the edger on projects where folks wanted me to edge out the lawn, and I could see where they had dirt getting onto the walkways, yes, that makes sense. But once edged, it doesn't really need doing again for some time.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I edge the walks drives and somtimes beds(if they have edging ) almost every mowing using a trimmer with an edgit attachment. I am one ove only a couple aroundhere that do. this Most other companies bevel trim the walks if at all and let them grow over then sell a blade edging once every year or two or never.
  8. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I just use a trimmer. Looks just as nice as if you use an actual edger!
  9. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

I think the quality of an actual blade edger is hard to beat.
  10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure about that? I think you get that nice deep manicured cut with an edger...that at least i can't seem to get with a trimmer.