The indians used everything

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by The Rookie, Feb 13, 2007.

1. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I recently had a 100 year old pecan tree cut down and the stump grinded out. I was able to save 200 dollars by letting the crew dump the chipper in a pile on my property. I would say it is 6ft high by 20 ft long, mulch pile. I was wondering why couldn't I use it as mulch.
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't see why you couldn't use it. as far as the pecan wood.. if you have any left, it adds an excellent flavor when cooking meats in a smoker.
  3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

You'll want to let the chips sit a while before you use them for mulch. Green wood chips will leach nitrogen from your soil very quickly.

I have a chipper and create all my own mulch.
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Bag up, and sell the chips on Ebay.
    Great to cook with.
  5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m not sure if what is being discussed has to do with the American Indian, but I guess you’re tipping your hat to his ingenuity. If so, it reminds me of the old story that might be making the rounds again, in which an ancient Indian was asked what he thought of the progress he had witnessed in America during his lifetime. He though about that for about a minute and then said. “When the Indian was the only race in the land, there was no debt or taxes, the services of the medicine man were free, the women did all of the work, and the men spent the entire day, every day of the year, hunting or fishing. It was that way for tens of thousands of moons. And then the crazy white men came here and thought they could improve on that social system.”
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We tried keeping and using some of the chips from our professional business....a real bad idea. As pointed out they pull nitrogen from the soil and they never break down......should have paid to have it removed and bought real mulch.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I had the same problem and with bugs :cry: added
  8. The Rookie

when the indians would kill a buffalo they would use every part of the dead buffalo. S uch as their hide, meat, tongue, intestines well you get the idea. I thought why not use the dead trees mulch instead of throwing it away. I live in a 16x80 trailer so, I am not real concerned with what I would be if I lived in a 400,000 home. I can live with the bugs, nitrogen problem ect because I dont want to pay 20 a tractor scoop of mulch. But thanks all yall for the comments. I will keep this in mind before I pay 120 for a holly tree to stick in the middle of my mulch. :drinkup:
  9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Im fan of using that mulch in the smoker as well!!!You should bag some up, I'll take a 50 pound bag when u have a chance!!
  10. The Rookie

I am going to have to try this tommorow on my grill. :drinkup: