1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The infamous 48

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

Well the 48 that I bought a year ago has turned out to be my worst purchase yet, i will never buy used equipment again i can tell you that much. The unit turned 2 years old today and it has since had a new transmision put on it and now i'm going to have to put a new motor on it. i've considered my options and shortblocking the motor is one option and getting a new motor is another. right now i'm looking at sinking 850 into a 17hp kawasaki and taking the kohler 15 off and trying to find someone to sell it to, so if ya know anyone let them know! haha it just needs shortblocked, my decision has been made by the fact that i have all this season and all next season to cut with it and then i'm saling it to a guy who will be doing it for the rest of eternity so i figure the money i make will pay for it quick and everyone will be happy, i just hate to do it because i just spent 500+ on a eb630 and that drained me a good bit and now this, i want to get to the point where i'm no longer spending money on equip and just making it!!!! any comments or thoughts would be nice, maybee make me feel a little better
  2. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I never ever buy used equipment, it is being sold for a reason. If I cant pay for it in a season then I dont own it. its that simple and so far i havent had any problems, this year bought a 61 turf tiger, lovin it, it pays for it self.
  3. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Not always,

If you go out of biz and have good equipment would you keep it? Well if your incorporated and have debt the law makes you liquidate your assets to pay the debts... so you can find some good deals out there. You just need to know what to look for.. I dont so I buy new! :)