The Irrigation Hierarchy

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jun 22, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I know its wrong to classify people on the job-site, but lets face it there is a grand pecking order.... I'm sure you all have different names for different positions on the crew...
    How does the pecking order break down for your region of the world.....

A guy doing a 6 man install on cape once told me this is how it went.....I thought the names were pretty funny so I'll share them.

Gerbil(you all always call them pups)-N00bie on the job-site..Can barely keep his shoes tied for 45 minutes, and always is standing around way to much..A person who digs poorly at first, cleans up at the end of the day first.Constantly fixing their mistakes or always on top of them before they make one...

Shovel muffin-3 weeks + on the install crew..They know whats going on for the most part.Although you have to keep your eye on them...For the most part they don't cave the trench or put the dirt in the wrong place when digging the valve box.They might forget to core a head or 10 once in a while..They dig well enough to put heads in, and understand the basic idea of the clean up..

Surf-The person or persons who keep all the shovel muffins and gerbils in check....Usually the guy slamming in irrigation heads, manifolds,burying the box,wiring the valves....Usually makes ok $$ but its tuff work..

Hoss-Well paid,doesn't't usually have a shovel in his hands..Puts in manifolds when it gets busy, pulls the pipe, flags out the job,hangs the controller ,plumbs the backflow, tells the surf how he wants the job to go down....

Bossman-Never gets dirty, complains the most, does the estimates, knows everything going down on the job. Collects all the $$,deals with complaints/headaches..