the joys of being boss

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GatorLawnCare, Dec 10, 2004.

1. GatorLawnCare

GatorLawnCare LawnSite Member

I'm going to stop doing the work with my employees. y bust my back that's y i have them rite. im just going to sit back in the office and do the billing, misc. paper work. and just Handel the estimates, signing new customers, and anything that popups in the Field. what do you guys that have employees do?
  2. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Im going to start my business next year, so obviously I dont have any employees. I have worked in different positions as both the manager and the "low man on the totum pole" in different fields though. I feel that if your employees see that youre just sitting around doing nothing then they are not going to put their all into the work that they do. If you want to sit around you need to promote one of your workers to be the foreman and pay him more. The extra money will give him motivation to work harder and the other employees will mimic the foreman. Before sitting around you must work with him consistently to enstill your work habits into him and to also make sure he will work as hard as you expect him to. Other owners might disagree but that is just my thought.
  3. GatorLawnCare

GatorLawnCare LawnSite Member

i have one guy thats the head man, another second incharge, and the others under him. the lowest pay i give is $17hr
  4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

"the lowest pay you give is $17/hour"..... did i read this correctly??? man thats alot of change for labor... i know rates in your area will be different than mine but not that much i start my guys off at 9.00-9.50 for laborers and 12.00 for supervisors how many proerties do u do commercial/residential and for roughly how much ..... i could understand paying someone that much if thwey had worked for me for like 7 or 8 yrs but man.... im not calling you out or saying your wrong im just supprised thats all.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I did what you did for about 2 months. I just sat in the office while they were out working. I was bored out of my mind. I had to get back into the field
  6. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

As of now I have one man with me and we both get everything knocked out. I am only 21 right now but I plan to eventually have more guys and let two crews run wild. I do enjoy the work and will still probably do a few accounts by myself and of course check up on the other accounts they are working on, but let one or two crews handle most of the work. Maybe even start doing another service...seeding with some local contractors I know...I'll have to wait and see.
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My days in the field will continue I will not be sitting in the office till I have 5 or more crews running. But in truth I really like working its good to push your self and see what youÂ’re made out of.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't get into this line of work because I enjoy sitting behind a desk...
  9. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Sitting behind the desk makes you fat, lazy and ugly. Your crew will lose respect, your customers will think you are making tons of money on them, you will lose that personal touch that built the business and by the time you realize this has happened to your business it will be too late and you have to start all over again.. I speak frm experience on this because I did that this season.
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I will agree with K.Carothers post. I had 2 crews last year and experanced the same resualts.You know the saying" when the cats away the mice will play".I heard stories and comments from customers and friends about all sorts of happenings. Made some changes this year and no problems.