1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Kawasaki Chokes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NoPro, Jun 26, 2002.

1. NoPro

NoPro LawnSite Member
    from Boston

Hoping someone can help me fix a problem with a new Gravely that, I think, has a Kawi FH451V engine on it. Its 13HP.

The Choke does not dissengage after starting the unit. I had them "fix" it before trailering it home, but the fix is not satisfactory. If I can save the repair guy and myself time, I'd like to try and see if I can do something myself. Right now, I can put the throttle all the way down and it just springs back up without any change in engine speed (as if control isn't functioning). I will say about half the time the throttle does drop down.

This is frustrating. Is it common on these engines to have poor choke actuation?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

when you move the throttle lever do you see any linkage moving down at the engine? you may need to order a complete throttle cable and control lever if you don't.
  3. NoPro

NoPro LawnSite Member
    from Boston

There is linkage behind the actuating lever. I plan on taking off the cable, where it goes into the lever to be sure the cable is not sticking and then check the lever, then, etc, etc.