The kids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by big tim afm, Sep 5, 2004.

1. big tim afm

big tim afm LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the lawn business and was wondering how many other companys out in lawn land let the kids tag along and help out?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Depends upon I guess what you mean by "kids".
    In our situation, we are trying to run a small profitable business, we're looking to get our work done efficiently and quickly, not run a babysitting service too. So no, we wouldn't bring our daughter with us.
    However, if you mean by a teenager when you say kids, well then I guess there is nothing wrong with bringing your son (or daughter) if they want to work and make a little cash for the day.

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Only time my kid comes with me is when im pushing snow,shes 4 yrs old and is good company sitting in the truck...

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I take my 4 and 2 year old to look at jobs and see customers. The kids love it, as do the clients.

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My 11 y/o son comes with me during the summer. I think it helps him to appreciate what I do and lets him learn what hard work is also he makes some money. This year I would put him on yards that the owner wasn't picky and let him push mow. He'll use the weed eater a little bit. Next year I want him on the weed eater more. I've had several customers comment on it and say they like to see a kid working, so many people just spoil their kids nowadays.

jbt likes this.
  6. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Family's seem to make a good back bone in smaller based businesses. I for one can't let my children work with me cause of their age, but I DO look forward to working with them in the future! BTW they are 2 and 5. Gotta love kids :D

jbt likes this.
  7. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

My 7yo. goes with me when I have big yards to mow. He does great on flat open areas on the ztr.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have taken my 12 year old daughter with me when mowing, occassionally. She does great with the blower and I put her on picking up trash, raking, etc. Never let her use the big mowers, though. I gotta believe there's an accident just waiting to happen there, if I did. I don't do it too often, every once in a while. All the customers I've run into dig it.

:D

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried to bring my kids before, but they are too young, don't have anything to do, and would probly get sick from the heat. They're 3 and 4, so I'll have to wait quite afew years before I can bring em'..