The Kohler Pop Has Stopped!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Total Lawncare, Aug 9, 2007.

1. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

For years now it has seemed to at least me that it was impossible to shut off a Kohler engine without the signature backfire. I can remember way back when I used to flinch a little when I wasn't thinking what I was doing. I have used 3 different mowers with the Kohler on them. A 16 a 25 and now a 27. It was just something I had come to live with.

Today was a new day however thanks to some advice I got from Puppypaws here on lawnsite. He recomended shutting the mower down at half to full throttle that this is what Kohler instucted for their modern carb equiped engines. This was of course unnatural to me because like many of you I was always told power down to idle before you kill it. That was the advice from the oldhands. "Thats just what Kohler's do." They would say. I have read many give their opinions on this site how to stop it, none had succeeded til today. So my sweat stained hat is off tonight to the man who loves his dogs. I no longer anticipate the annoying pop at the end of a long days work and the folks around the commercial accounts I have on the risky side of town don't have to duck and cover when i power off on the trailer anymore.:gunsfirin :laugh:
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I will have to keep that in mind. The 18hp Kohler on my Walker backfires real bad, haven't noticed it as bad on my 23hp Dixon. Also noticed my Walker hasn't been running for **** under about half throttle, could be just from the heat?
  3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the mowers do not have a fuel shut off solenoid on the carburetor bowl. Thats what it prevents is the drawing of fuel into the cylinder after shutoff at full throttle
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW...... I'm sorry I thought everyone knew this.....
  5. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

I guess some of us should read the manual a little more thoroughly.:hammerhead:
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not all engines, even engines that comes down the assembly line one right after the other, are the same. What works for one engine might now work for the next and sometimes you have to try different things to get the desired resilts. That's just the way it is.
  7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello yes my walkers have backfired that loud and hard [when i forget to turn off properly ] that i swear my muffler is going to fly off . SH*T !! I hope nobody is looking .:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

That is what is wierd. Many of them do have a shut-off solenoid, like mine. But the manual actually states to shut it down at half throtte if it is equipped with the solenoid.

It also states, that if they are not equipped with a solenoid, to shut it down at idle. Sounds backwards to me, but I was assured it wasn't.
  9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The problem is the way the carbs they use on the Kohlers are setup the fuel shutoff solenoid only acts on the main jet of the carb. The main jet is what supplies fuel at high speed. It does not act on the low speed circuit of the carb. So if you idle down and shut off the fuel solenoid doesnt really do anything. That is if I remember that right since I get into very few Kohler carbs. This is mainly for the V-twins. The smaller singles use a carb more like everyone else.

Most other carbs draw the idle fuel through the same passage as the main circuit so when you shut off the main it all gets shut off.
  10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoot, I thought my Walker was the only one that did that, I'm in good company! I used Premium gas one time and it did not backfire, but who is going to spend extra $$$ for that, Not me!
    On the old cars in the 70's I was told to leave it in gear and turn it off, worked everytime, automatics only....