The Landscape Lighting Book.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by progolferjoe72, Oct 6, 2006.

1. progolferjoe72

progolferjoe72 LawnSite Member

Has anyone read the Landscpe Lighting Book by Janet Lennox Moyer, just curious for reviews if anyone has.

2. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

have you read it? What do you think?

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Its very in depth. She gets very scientific so make sure you have the patience and brain power to digest it. The average Joe might get discouraged by it. Having a working knowledge of design and lighting does help. I reread parts of it AFTER I gained some experience and got alot more out of it. There is a ton of incredible info in there however.

I picked mine up used on amazon for about 40 bucks.

Trade secrets of a lighting profesional also has great reviews... Thats on my list for winter time reading. I usuallly take a good book on long days of winter gulf fishing.

4. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I ordered the Landscape Lighting Resource Manual from Unique and I will tell you it is like a text book. It is about 2 inches thick and full of alot of good information. It does include alot of Nate's personal opinions on stuff and it may conflict with what other experienced pros think, But If you keep this in mind and read it along with other sources I think it is worth the money. From my perspective( brand new at lighting) it was and still is very helpful.

TF

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

tdf, you are right. Nate's book is very good as long as you read it as a guide book and not manual of what you have to do. I have read it and continue to use it. Janet's book is a dry read but is a must read for anyone in this industry. There is a reason that she is considered to be the best in her field and you will know why when you read her book.

6. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Where can I find "Landscape Lighting Resource Manual " from Unique. Checked the web but no luck.
    Thanks

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

8. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Kirk
    Joel

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Look up any of Nate Mullen's books on Amazon.com and you will see some very funny and astute reviews by a contractor who does not like him or his company. (Can't remember the guy's name)...wait a sec...Joseph Masciotti.. here's what he had to say:

"This is a print version of what is now termed an "info-mercial" on TV. The "Secret" is that the technical content is based on the use of single-source equipment and if you don't buy (literally and figuratively) the multi-tap transformer (12v to 22v secondaries) you cannot repeat the results. Lighting techniques are discussed but since reliance is placed almost exclusively on a single fixture (an in-ground uplight) and a single lamp type (the 12v PAR 36 sealed beam flood) the palette of effects is somewhat constrained. A very "California" book in that techniques and effects rely upon a benign climate, lush foliage and high surface brightness. The dust jacket photograph illustrates this well. The usual charts and voltage drop formulae plus many sample wiring schemes based on hundreds of feet of low voltage cable with voltages as high as 22v supporting two or three lamps per cable run. The sections on sales and marketing will interest readers who intend to get into the field of outdoor lighting. The high profit margins given are based on labor and materials only with no mention of overhead costs; the marketing tips exhaust the obvious. Much padding, didactic repetition, many typos and a section on where and how to buy equipment from the author."

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I went to a free seminar featuring Janet Moyer put on by the Sacramento Municipal Utilites District earlier this year. She was really great.
    I recommend getting the second edition of her book. Much useful additional info.