The last big job I did

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

So I got a call to help move sand from a 300 x 100 foot pig barn manure pit that my brother's business had dug. The builder needed 32" wide x 8" deep footings dug every 10 feet on center with perimeter and center trenches. The problems they had were getting a machine with a 32" bucket and moving that material out of the excavation hole. That's where I came in, my T190 and hopper bucket worked great here, I spent 3 days here going in and out and moving the machine between sites.

The sheer size between the 301.8 (left) and 320 (right) buckets:
    [​IMG]

7:30 AM, warming up:
    [​IMG]

The view from my cab:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was done in 1 day:
    [​IMG]

1 hour of time yielded this much in sand, the pile behind the 320CL was from the previous day:
    [​IMG]

Coffee time and an overall view of the next days work:
    [​IMG]

That little outhouse with a backhoe attachment was driving the operator nuts, so he used the 320 to do the outer perimeter trenches, and I wanted to see how well it worked with my hopper bucket:
    [​IMG]

This is all I saw:
    [​IMG]

End of the day, 1 more day yet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And without this de-watering pump, we would all be in 1 foot of water:
    [​IMG]

2. bobcat_ron

I've been playing in the manure today, got some more pics coming PDQ.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Cool pics. Thats the first I've seen of a hopper bucket. How many yards does it hold.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

okay, now you are just playing in a sandbox! NO fair. We have all rock around here.

5. bobcat_ron

That hopper bucket holds 4.25 cubic yards heaped, basically, it takes 4 Bobcat 68" C/I buckets to heap it and 1 extra to really crown it.

6. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh, now that I see your from BC I know why those mountains look so familiar. Is that Sumas Mountain in the background?

7. bobcat_ron

Yup, Vedder Mountain in that last pic, Sumas Mountain in the first few pics, I was right on the Sumas/Yarrow border just off Highway #1 at the No.3 road exit.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Funny, according to Gravel Rat there is no work in BC.

Also, he claims that its solid rock :rolleyes:

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For one thats the Fraser Valley its farm country you won't find much West Coast Rock there. As for the work its really spotty all over B.C. . If you pound nails and build houses in the Lower Mainland area your busy but if your in the forest industry or live in towns that survive off of the forest industry the work has dropped off.

Right now the Vancouver area market hasn't slowed down because of the Olympic hype. There is too many stupid people out there buying houses at 500,000 to millions. Where they are getting the money who knows. Do you want to live in Vancouver for work I sure don't. Fight horrible traffic everyday its grid lock from 4 am to 4am the next morning. Watching the news thismorning about the gang violence.

Back on topic I never seen a hopper bucket for a skid steer before that would work good for places you can't get a truck into.

Looking at the pictures you must have been able to hear some humming from those high voltage transmission wires.

Another good thing is the weather has been good for the last couple days or you guys would be really swimming in mud :laugh:

Do you own Triple B or are you a employee I was looking at the site and the company does mostly farm work in the Valley doing multiple jobs.

10. bobcat_ron

As for the power lines, nadda, but I did develop a strange tumor on my neck, but I'm sure it's nothing, the doctor told me if it starts to sprout eyes, call him, but whatever.

As for the business, my big brother owns it, I work as an employee/person who gets bent over on the weekends as well as I own and operate my little Bobcat enterprise on the side working through him when ever he needs it.

He got his start in '99, our Dad put him on his own and I got my start in '03, we both worked faithfully for the old man since he started in '86 and he made sure he gave us a good foot hold in the business when we started up the business, and we're both sure we'll be digging his grave when the time comes, regardless of whether the old coot dies or not, there'll be a hole diggin' party one way or another!

Currently Triple B Excavating has 4 full time employees including myself, There is a full time truck driver who makes the rounds, if he takes a vacation then either myself or someone else fills in. With 4 excavators, a bulldozer, mini and compact excavators and a gravel truck, there sometimes needs to be at least 2 extra people we need, but customers are always willing to wait if no one is available.