The Last Cut of '06

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Splicer, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

We had our 1st hard freeze last night...I will cut the grass 1 more time and then thats that...Growing season is officially Southwest Ohio anyway...
  2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

here it had slowed down and got a bit cooler but today the rain started and if I remember right they said that we would be back up in the 90 degree range one day this week with alot of chances of rain boy water and heat them there Bahia shooters will be reaching for the sky 1 more time owell that make me more money when they grow .twj
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm still going weekly until the first of November, then 2 cuts in November and then I'll call it quits for the season.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

there called for lows of 35 last night. I woke up to a pretty good frost and 29F this morning. This won't shut the grass down completely but it will give it a good kick in the ass to slow it down considerably.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

WE had 2 good frost and 29 degrees here fri- sat. I think I will still cut till the end of Oct. In my area (VA) even with an early frost, long as the temps are up...the grass seems to still grow. Maybe 1 cut in Nov to kinda clean up the ruff edge and smooth things out before thanksgiving

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hold on there, splicer! The ground temps are still warm, and this week's temps wont be bad. And don't be surprised to see a good kick of "indian summer". We generally go into november, and with this fall's abundant rain, the trees are full, which means lots of leaf action! I've cut in December many a season.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Virginia this time of the year is a little bit like Jul-Aug, the grass slows way down and then it does it again, and again (so to speak) but it still grows just slow, to where some lawns still need another cut in a month.

While some of the lesser lawns will drop out about now, the better turf can and does grow into December some years, you have to watch it or you'll be up against some tall stuff next spring lol, plus the grass is better short if you plan on dealing with leaves.

Just do NOT cut it when it's frosty :)
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think there's any mowing being done in the Buffalo.NY area...
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I was out cutting on saturday and gave a final cut to one particular house that is always a kinda slow grower. (shes a bi-weekley cut anyhow). The mowing season is getting ready to wind down.
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

mowing season schmowing season, don't you guys pick up leaves? Most of my customers want me there weekly, weather permitting, to keep the leaves cleaned up. I have many weeklys that go weekly till thanksgiving and then usually 1 more finial round before the new year sometime.

The grass HAS slowed dramatically here, as you see where I am this monday morning, lol. It's a wet drizzily day and as best I can see there's not to much to mow today anyway... This is kinda the week "lull" between grass and leaves. Granted I have been picking up leaves but my monday lawns aren't too bad this week!