the last "top quality" company bites the dust

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there is a company here. the most "professional" company i've ever seen in terms of lawn service. trucks always sparkling clean, equipment too. employees in uniform, shirts tucked in, and wearing a smile. this company would not take on a client unless they did it all- mow, ferts, trimming, everything or nothing. they wouldn't just mow, they would only take on full service accounts, and i must say, they made thier properties look like trophies, every one of them edged perfect, green, beds edged and mulched, seasonal flowers, shrubbery trimmed perfect all the time, never a hair out of place. naturally, this was a high priced company, but well worth it. lately though....i've been seeing thier trucks on "undesireable" properties, some that i wouldn't even step foot on. they are starting to do "mow and go" only. what does this tell you?

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

They figured out it doesn't matter what property your on as long as they are billing out their desired rate per man hour.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds to me like they are adapting to the needs of the customer base.

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

There probably in the process of making them into manicured trophy's. You have to start someplace. I'm sure this company doesn't inherit there manicured trophy's. They may take a pile of crap and turn it into gold.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We started doing the same thing this season. There's alot of people out there who only want mowing. We'll service them just the same, but our rates reflect it. We are primarily full service, but saw a niche for people who wanted a professional service company, but couldn't afford all the service items. Now they can feel like the Jones's, too. The funny thing is most of the new signups this spring were in or close to our existing neighborhoods already.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What they probably have found out is that the trophy homes are usually in the trophy neighborhoods and every LCO out there thinks that is where they need to be because the money is "good". Competition can be very fierce in those neighborhoods. I don't go there.

I sub out a lot of my landscape maintenance. I've gotten to know the crew leader of the one company that I am working with pretty well. He asked me if anybody else even came into the area because he never saw anybody but me pulling mowers. I told him that there were 1 or 2 other guys that cut in my area but for the most part it's just me and 100 million dollars worth of waterfronts with a lot of money to spend.

All of the rest of the cutters are up in the rich neighborhoods. Ha ha!

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you know what this tells me? it tells me, that there are not enough customers willing to pay top $$$ for a great job, to run a large business. he has realized that, and is now providing level "b" service, cus he needs to pay the bills.