1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The lastest: just the way I like them.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mdvaden, Jun 6, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a view of my latest install. Happened to be my mother in law too.

No biofalls, no UV filters - just the way I like to install.

Plenty of circulation, falls for oxygen, aquatic plants, and lots of bottom rock for beneficial algae and bacteria.

I'm quite fond of this moss rock, but also use big rounded river rock or flagstone. I think 45% of a water feature is the surrounding plant material, and that ponds get better with age for that reason.

2. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

looks good. that's one of the few on here i actually like
  3. mdvaden

I decided to post an observation comment in this thread since it's short and the others are really long. This relates to the idea exchange in other threads.

Today, I was at the Valley View nursery near Ashland, Oregon, and there is a fairly large pond with stream and series of falls. It's a full-blown "system". The installer currently uses the Aquascapes kits, and it's very likely that that one is an Aquascapes component feature or very similar.

The water streams and pond are loaded with string algae.

Now this is what struck me on this. It's not that I omit peripheral gadgets or that this pond had the gadgets. It's not whose pond building style is the most algae-free. What stood out was how good that darn string algae in the Valley View Nursery pond looked.

There's limits of course. But the movement of that algae in the clear water with all the nice lilies and marginal plants was very authentic and appealing. If I had a long stream for my pond at home, I'd want that kind of algae look.
  4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy that pond looks good! That's a masterful job M.D.

5. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Looks good!!

I like the moss rock as well, thats all i used in my waterfall, it really turned out good
  6. mdvaden

Do you have an album of your moss rock water features?