The late snow effecting pre=emergence.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FL&G, Mar 26, 2005.

1. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

I am sure their has been several posts pertaining to this question, maybe someone can refer me to them. Is this late spiring snow going to effect pre emergent crabgrass killer? I know the rule of thumb is the flowering of the forsythia, But their is still 10" of snow on the ground. When should it be put down this year?
    Any help or direction, greatly appreciated.

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Flower forsythia is just a wives tale....not a bad rule of thumb but as soon as the snow melts and the ground isn't frozen, lay it down, studies have shown that pre-emergent applied in late fall of the previous year gives comparable control the following summer. Many may disagree but the data is there.

3. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

When can I apply pre-emergence to new zoysia sod? I bought 100 lbs. of granular Dimension from Lesco to put on a zoysia lawn for a friend of mine. He has 15,400 ft. lawn and it was just laid in late Feb. and the the sod has not taken root to the ground due to low temps. As I was reading the bag it mentioned not applying to new lawns established from sprigs, plugs, sod, or seed. Well seed makes perfect sense.
    Well anyway I did not apply the dimension but I wanted to ask the pros here when is it safe to apply on new sod?

4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

follow the label on sod....it's right there on the bag..

5. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

Thank you! :waving: