The Latest Competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Oldtimer, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Published:Sunday, June 22, 2008

staff report

YOUNGSTOWN — Youngstown North Side Weed and Seed is in search of lawn mowers to provide youth of the city with the equipment to potentially start their own jobs.

Weed and Seed is a federally funded grant program that aims to weed out crime and seed in social programs and services to restore local neighborhoods. Youngstown State University assists the program.

This summer, it will be offering lawn mower maintenance sessions to at least 10 youths from the North Side.

“If we get more than 10 kids, no one will be turned away,” said Rick George, associate director of the Center for Human Service Development at YSU.

Educational sessions will start as soon as Weed and Seed has lawn mowers, which it hopes will be donated by local residents and businesses. Any mower will do — and they are also accepting mower parts.

Participating youth will be recommended by community block watch groups, churches and council members.

“Kids need people to show them things,” said George. “If you show them what to do, they’ll do it.”

With this program, George hopes to give area youth the knowledge and tools to start cutting grass as a job and as a way to clean up their neighborhood.

Youngstown North Side Weed and Seed is in its second year of working with youth and will offer other programs this summer.

It will have a drug and alcohol training event with PANDA (Prevent and Neutralize Drug and Alcohol Abuse), and etiquette classes to teach kids how to respect one another and the appropriate way to act in certain situations, said George.

For more information on Weed and Seed or about donating a mower, call (330) 744-9011.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Surely a bunch of part time kids are not competition. Seriously if what you do can be replicated by a teenager pushing a mower from home to home... well than I hate to say it but that's evolution at work.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but our county and city both have programs like that, it's called the Community Service program but as a general rule I don't think most of the folks who get involved really meant to get in that way lol, thou it beats the alternative heh

These are troubled youths, I wouldn't knock the program because this is exactly how I was going to get free labor going but I never bothered to check because I am sure you need more than a run-from-home operation to sponsor or be able to provide such types of labor.

That's what this is, just read the article, here's the parts that talk about this:
    It is a federally funded grant program that aims to weed out crime and uses social programs and services to restore local neighborhoods. Participating youth will be recommended by community block watch groups, churches and council members.

With this program, George hopes to give area youth the knowledge and tools to start cutting grass as a job and as a way to clean up their neighborhood. It will have a drug and alcohol training event with PANDA (Prevent and Neutralize Drug and Alcohol Abuse), and etiquette classes to teach kids how to respect one another and the appropriate way to act in certain situations, said George.

So this is a social services program, the aim and intent of this type of thing is completely different than that of direct competition, and if this program takes business away from me then that's all right, too.

4. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like the university wants their grass cut for free

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

One kid gets hurt, or hurts someone, and that program will be nixed....

Also it soulnd like the areas this program is targeting are not areas LCO's are doing much buiseness in..................:usflag:

6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Looks like they found a new way to waste our money. Thanks jack@$$ bureaucrats.