The lawn don't need cut BUT....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Sep 21, 2005.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

it's been 7 days, the grass hasn't grown, but there is a light dusting of leaves on the lawn which makes the property look sloppy. Do you cut it? If so, how are you charging? Price of a cut, price of a small cleanup, or do you just skip it till next week? this question I guess is geared more to the guys that aren't on a flat monthly rate payment plan.
    Not looking for advice, just starting conversation.

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

this has caused me grief this year. calls saying i'm cutting too often, when its not growing, etc. i try and explain there's more to do then just cut grass, but what a headache its been.
    we haven't had rain here in about 2 months, no exaggeration. maybe a 5 minute drizzle every 2 weeks, but the lawns are toast. and the ones with sprinklers, cutting very little.
    i try and do the regular weekly service, and if there's a dusting of leaves like you say, that just get sucked up or blown into a tiny pile and i don't chrage extra. i use that as my reason for even cutting.
    if it takes me more time then i usaul, i charge for the leaves. example, if it takes 10 minutes to cut the grass weekly, if it still takes me 10 minutes including picking up a handful of leaves, i charge ther same. if it takes extra time, for example, 20 minutes instead of 10, ofcourse, i add on my final bill of the year, a "leaf charge".
    wish we'd get some rain so we can get back to normal.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Even if it does not really need it we will cut it. #3 is that by next week the few areas that still grow will be really long and it will look bad.
    #2 All my weeklies are just cutting and not lawn care so there is a lot of crab grass that has those long shoots that stick up and that looks bad.
    But the #1 reason is that we really want only full service accounts so if the people bit@h we can try to put them on contract or maybe they will leave, which is OK.

Plus the banker does not care how short the grass was.
    (last rain here was 6 weeks back)

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell them, that u can give them the equivilent of thier grasscut, in a small cleanup. i'm doing that with quite a few of my customers for the last 2-3 weeks, and the next also. if it's a 20 min cut, for $30, i'll give them 20 min worth of weeding, for $30. for lawns with sycamores and other leaves, same thing. so far, no problems

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I just charge it as a mow. Never had a complaint. You're performing the same service. Making their lawn look nice. Maybe we should call it, "Lawn Enhancement Service." instead of "Mowing". Covers everything.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i do a small leaf clean up and charge as a mow. usually if i skip it cause it didnt need it ill get called up (new customers) and ask why i didnt mow. i tell them it didnt need it cause its dry and im saving you some money. they get all excited when they hear that im checking on there yard but only doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done. i dont start charging extra for leaves until november. before november we only usually pick them up off the grass, no beds, and dont do much trim/edge and charge as a weekly mow. nobody complains.

7. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I keep mowing unless they call and cancel ahead of time.

8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive only been doing lawn service for 2 years now and this is the driest month i have seen yet. Im worried about customers complaining but all of them are on a contract so im sticking to whats in my contract and if there are leaves im just mulching them now until leaf cleanup time actually starts which is dec, jan, and feb for me and its included in the yearly service.

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Just skip it till next week.

10. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

Im skipping some and offering clean up or cleaning beds instead of cutting .I have cut a few that looked rough in a couple spots and charged reg. rate for cut ...No problems .