The lawns nobody wants

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 16, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok what kind of lawns do most LCO's usually pass up on? The ones with gates? The ones with hills? Bad customers? The small postage stamp lawns? I mean anything other than the obvious overgrown pasture type lawn, any other reason why a LCO with 2 or 3 man crew would pass up a lawn.
    Thanks.

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I know a few LCO'S here in Central Florida that will tell you " If I can't mow it with my Z, I will pass " So small lots, and gates would be my guess.

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I kind of like those type of yards, I just charge a little more for the " hard areas". As I find that the owners of these yards tend too appeciate your work a litte more because most know that they have a difficult property to maintain, atleast that has been my experiences

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here we have a lot of clay soil. So I avoid the lawns with thin or bare places if I see they have no intentions of improving the lawn.

Eating big clouds of clay dust every time it gets dry ain't my cup of tea.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I pass up all yards that are not dead flat. If you have a hill buy a goat.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i look for residual work. if the lawn is bare, rocky, swampy ect. i will pass. the homeowner has to be willing to do what it takes to have a nice lawn. if theres a chance that it will look bad when completed, i would assume to pass. my work is my advertising. most of the time there is a reason they cant find someone.

7. deason

deason LawnSite Member

The ones that are non-profitable are the ones to pass up.

Weather they have gates, heavy growth, steep hills doesnt matter.... all these can be profitable if priced correctly. Now on the other hand, sometimes the relationship with the customer cannot be determined from the first service visit. Sometimes it takes a while before the real frankenstein comes out.

8. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

What's your guys' tactics on passing up the customers politely? Refer them to someone else? What if you don't want to give business to someone else or don't have a reference?

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We don't even stop for anything under $30.00. Also if a house does not water, and we get the "dust face" when we cut I will drop them. Oh yeah, and if houses do not clean up after their dogs and I step in a heaping pile... I will drop them. :D

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

in particular this LCO passes on the ones that don't pay enough.:(

GEO