1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Lazer Z CT

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeLT1Z28, Apr 18, 2003.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

in the previous thread we asked about the new CT. Well, i was just looking over the emark page and lo-and-behold, i found this. looks like a great machine for upscale residential owners or part timers with not too many accounts.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think Exmark may be adding too many models. Variety is great, but the CT seemed, at least at a glance, to be too similar to the hp line to justify another moniker. Other than cupholder and foot pedal deck assist, what are the differences? Deck? Frame? PTO? Meters?

Get too many models and engine/deck combinations and dealers won't be able to stock them all for us to test out before we buy.

I'm not sure we need 25 AND 27 hp engines, for a hypothetical example. On $8000 mowers, I'm not sure a $300 price difference matters much to buyers. It also complicates parts inventory and engineering, I'm sure.

I also wonder if Exmark dealers are eager to get into selling to home owners. They usually require many times the manpower per sales dollar, since their purchases are small and they need more hand holding. Part of the appeal of Exmark over Toro is their commercial-only line. When I go to my Toro dealer, I have to wait 15 minutes in line behind homeowners getting blades sharpened, asking questions about $40 baggers on $300 mowers, etc, etc. They should give the guy who invented the T bar a medal. They wouldn't have sold me squat w/o that.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey brucec32,

Although the Lazer Z CT (LCT) looks similar to the Lazer Z HP (LHP), I assure you that the LCT is not just "another moniker." Significant modifications were made to create about $1000 worth of separation between the LCT's and the entry level LHP. These differences include the following:

- engine
    - air filter
    - deck
    - clutch
    - brake system
    - drive system
    - ground speed
    - drive tires
    - front casters
    - front tires

For a more complete list of differences from the LCT to the full-size Lazer Z, please click on the following link and download this .pdf file - http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/Exmark_Quick_Chart.pdf.

The LCT is not for everyone. The way I see it, there are two groups who could benefit by purchasing this product. #1 - Commercial cutters who were using a walk-behind and want to jump into a rider but cannot afford the Lazer Z HP. This provides them with a stepping stone to get to that next level. Now they're able to increase their productivity but still keep their costs down. #2 - Homeowners who want a quality commercial rider but don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles on the LHP's. This is for the guy who was looking at a Dixon, Fastrack, TimeCutter, or Z-Force but really wants something that's a little more durable and higher quality. Unlike some of the other mowers in this class, the LCT carries the same 1-2-3 commercial warranty that our other products do. If the guy's got two acres or less, the LCT is a good choice for them. If they're cutting three acres or more, they might want to consider an LHP or larger.

We don't ask our dealers to stock on of every model we offer. It just wouldn't be practical. We want them to stock the combination of units that are right for their unique market. If a customer comes in and requests to see something they don't have, that's why we have distributors. They can usually get them the product the customer needs in a relatively short period of time.

Exmark dealers have been selling our mowers to homeowners for many years. This just gives them another opportunity to open up another market. Just like it isn't for every potential customer, the LCT is not for every dealer. They have to decide what's right for their market. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Exmark Customer Support
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey dustin,

thanks for the call the other day, enjoyed talking to you again. the demo went great.

out of curiousity, what's the MSRP on the CT and the 44 HP", i know my new dealer has a special on the 44" with the free sunshade for 5699 i think.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I've traveled all over the country this year, and I've seen the 44" LCT priced anywhere from $5300 to $5700. The list price is $5900.

Here's why the price varies so much. We made a limited run of these mowers to see how well they would be accepted into the channel. It went so well that we decided to increase production on these mowers. The only problem is we're trying to catch up with the demand for the product. You'll see more 44" LCT's out there, but right now they're in short supply.

The 44" CT is almost like a limited edition Exmark! Cool, huh?

Hope this helps,

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see the 44" HP's advertised at $5999 quite often. For $300 or even $700 more, I know I'd prefer the HP.

Factor in resale value, durability, capability, etc. and I bet the CT would cost someone more than an HP in the long run.

But, people love their low prices. You should sell boatloads.