1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Lesco 52" cuts like S**t

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason_S, Aug 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

Our company has a 52 inch Lesco WB that always rolls over grass, but no cutting it! (no matter what speed!) Anyway, we put hi lift gators on it recently, and STILL no improvement! Just curious if anyone has solved this problem yet or may have some insight on where to look, thanks in advance!

By the way, the blades are sharp!
  2. linky

linky LawnSite Member

What type of grass are cutting and at what height? My Scags will not cut tall grass/weeds worth a darn when they are set at 3.5 in.
    If you set them at 2.5 in. they do much better.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

JUST A SUGGESTION , try no lift blades or standard
  4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i have a 48 lesco with the same problem the damm thing dont cut. i sharpened the blades and it was the same i went in first gear nuthing ,high rpm lower rpm nothing i use my toro 36 fixed and it cuts the grass that my lesco jsut went over i was like wtf i got a piece of crap mower thats why i am parting with it after only 20 hrs i dont use it bcz of the cut sucks
  5. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

We used to have standard blades, and hoped that the gators would do more for it, NO!

the new 48" we have cuts a lot better than that 52", but the 52" also has the big roller on the front. The strips of grass are not in line with the roller though!

Told my boss to sell this mower, and get a used ZTR, he laughed! I think 1 WB and 1 ZTR would be the ultimate for the company! The ZTR would save A LOT of time not having to double cut to make anything look half way decent.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i agree with getting a used or new ztr thats what i am planning on doing, it wil take me less time to mow and no double cutting or triple with the lesco haha and no hard controls to squeeze it will make mowing fun with a ztr with the levers for forward revrse and so on good luck in dealing with you boss mayb someday you will have one of your own to mow and give a cheap kid employ the lescos ha
  7. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

It is a posibility, but I'd need to change my direction in a quick hurry! College starts Tuesday! But the Landscape Company has crossed my mind once or twice!
  8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

How old is your Lesco 52? Got mine this spring and I love the thing.
    Standards cut great. but with the Hi lifts I can get all the weeds and lay down some of the best stripes arround, even in brown grass. Given the perfect flat lawn I could go full speed an not miss anything. But lawns are never that perfect.

The gators dont seem to work that well tho.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jason--thats funny your lesco 52 cuts like.... well, you made it plain what you think of it.

my lesco 48 does a great job. I prefer high lift blades year round. unfortunately, during dry spells the blamed things will stir enough dust to make you sick if you breath it!

I wonder if you problem could be operator error?

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

How many spacers do you have above the blade?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.