The lightest trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolgreen, Mar 18, 2007.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

What have you guys found to be the lightest commercial trimmer?

I liked the Kawasaki KBL 23A. At 9.1 pounds it was easy to trim for hours on end without my arms aching, but they stopped making it for some stupid reason.

After using the Kawasaki, everything else feels like a chunk of heavy concrete after a few hours, especially to my female employee.

I find that extra pound or more really makes a difference. I don't know why I would need a motorcycle engine in my trimmer. I'm using it on grass, not as a brushcutter. If I wanted a brushcutter I would buy a brushcutter.

I guess it's just a sales tactic to throw larger and larger motors in these things each year to get us to think they are the latest and greatest.

What do you use?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Husquvarna 323L. If you want a few ounces less weight loose the trimmer guard too. It's around 9 pounds. I have one and have had good luck with it, also love how LIGHT it is!

3. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

I've got the redmax 2300... it weighs in at 8.8 lbs. Got a great deal on it too. You'll never catch me using another trimmer!

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

husky 323 here too-love it!

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought the Kaw KGT27A, 10.2 lbs, 26 cc. I switched the gearbox to an Echo, and put an Edgit on it. Can't wait to use it!

6. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

Red Max 2300 is very lightweight. Feels like a javelin in my hand, but don't throw it...:nono:

Stihl FS100RX has one of the best POWER to weight ratios out there.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

yup redmax 2300 for a straight shaft or get a curve for lighter yet. redmax makes the ilghtest.

8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

323L. great weight, balance, and power

9. davemanou812

davemanou812 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Stihl FS100 Cant beat the power compared to the weight

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I use the Husky 323's. Lightest trimmer that I have ever used. One of mine is going on its 8th season.