The lowballer scum are out!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING, Feb 8, 2008.

1. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Just heard from a freind who lost a prop. 4.75acres irrigated, slightly hilly, lots or road frontage w/curbs, LOTS of trimming.

Lowballer's WEEKLY mow price? $100

WTF?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So make sure to tell your friend to keep the information on this property and raise the price on it in case they call back later in the season, at least for myself always if the first answer is no the price just went up, not a lot but usually up to the next notch.

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I hear that! I told him he'll probably get a call mid April. Either they will do a sh!t job, or will decide it is not worth it at that price! ...Then again, there were 2 other bids under $130:confused:

4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

~$20 an acre, way too low. Won't last.

5. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i do one jjjuuuust like that for 275 and theyre very happy and im happy doing it at that price, even with 20 min. travel time

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I just picked up a 3/4 acre property for 60 along with all my other services for this lawn.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

theres nothing you can do about its business theyre always going to be out there so if price wont set you apart quality will have to

8. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

My Econ teacher says this about these guys. The rules of economics say that anything above your variable cost is a profit. So if the guy only has 20 hours of work currently, and wants 20 more, he may as well work at any price above his variable cost, because otherwise he earns 0 for that 20 hours. Any profit is better then no profit.

I go round and round on this with my Econ teacher. I call them lowballers too, but he assures me they are doing the right thing, as long as they are only doing it short term, that they made a good economic decision. So if when they get a full schedule they start dropping the customers they "lowballed" on, then they will be ahead. lol damb lowballers and Econ teachers.

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I look at lowballing scum a different way. I see them doing properties next to some of mine now and then. I make sure that dorhangers are place on those house where the scum was working. More than a few times I've received calls from the owners asking if I would come over to look at their yards after the lowballers have wrecked it. It usually turns into some very profitable work. So....keep your eyes on them, you just may get a chance to pick up a new customer while added some nice coin at the same time.

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Think there out now - in my are the bottom feeders are out year around. Lost a condo this winter for snow removal - there doing it for 10 a driveway where our minimun is $18. There doing the lawn for $8 a condo - where as we were at $15. I told them no to the fert program unless we mow everything. I can't recoup there poor grass mowing to make a yard look good.