The Lowballers Are Already Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKOOPERS, Feb 29, 2004.

1. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a call yesterday for an estimate, and went over there today. The yard was just a little bit over 2 acres. With 1/2 of an acre to get cut every other week. I bid it for $80. Then the guy tells me that he had someone cut it for $52and fert for $30 . I simply told the man i couldnt touch it for that. I gave him my estimate for 6 apps , bed weed control and mowing. The grand total was $2665.00 and thats not including leaf removal. I went ahead and fax it to him so i guess i will see what happens.

2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

There will always be people out there bidding lower then you, taking properties that you want. They will do it to me again this year.

3. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

It has been happening all week to me, I know where you are coming from. I think I'm going to modify my bid sheet, so that all other expenses are not included, that way they will see a lower cost. I have already lost 3 this way, due to added expenses of jobs other than mowing.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

do u think that is a good price for that? they tru-green doing the ferts

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If they can fert. 2 acres for $30 . They must be spreading that damn thin. More power to them! Your $80 sounds pretty good for mowing as long as theres not too much string trimming and dont have to bag it.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

You bid $80 for a half an acre to cut every other week? Seems kinda high to me.

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Nah,he's not too high.Looks like 1.5 acres to cut every week and .5 acres every other week.So,every two weeks he'd be cutting the full 2 acres.Actually sounds a little on the low side if I'm reading his post correctly.

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I want to know where I can buy enough fertilizer to do 2 acres for $30.00 My cost from Lesco averages between $30 & $60 an acre just for the material.

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Nah thats easy, usually when people bid that low they never put out fertilizer.

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres a company here that does just fert, spraying and aerating. I've seen a couple of there bids and they are right at or less than I can buy the raw material for. Their is a number on their bids that might be their sq-ft estimate. It is only 1/3-1/2 of what I actually measured. So are they planning on applying only 1/2 rate? Or their going to use a lot more product than they thought? They have been in business for many years so I don't think they would be using more than planned. They call it "heavy fertilizer" on their bids. WTF does that mean? They used to do all liquid but costumers are starting to demand granular for the fert. they must be able to buy in some big bulk quantities, and who knows about quality. I want to talk to them some time and see just what formulations they are using, or if they even know.

This company is the one reason I don't count on fert. I offer it and if I get the job great but I concentrate on my mowing and
    other stuff.

Sorry but I had to vent a bit, and this seemed like a good thread to do it.
    Btw, my prices are about $4/ 1000 sq-ft + $10. So 10k would be $50/app.

I don't think this is out of line.