The Lowest Of The Lowballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DistLawns, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Well, I must say this is the worst I've ever seen. I bid a new commercial complex this spring, thinking I was bidding a little on the low end. I'm not sure what the square footage was, but it was a 2 manhour job. maybe one expierenced guy with a walk behind and a z turn could do it in an hour and 45 minutes. anyway, I bid the job at 60 dollars a cut, thinking that was fair. Well found out today some dumbazz bid the property at 35 dollars a cut. That means they're not even making 20 dollars and hour! The kicker is even the property manager said she's leary of signing them because it seems so low. This one takes the cake!
  2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

they could have a 5 man crew or better equipment and finish in 20 minutes instead of your hour 45 minutes..... many variables could take place... it can also be 2 illegals with 21 in push mowers who will be happy making $75 a day then u can call them lowballes
  3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

60 bucks sounded pretty low. I can't believe someone could go under that.
  4. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

that was the perfect opportunity to remind her to be sure that kid is insured or he could cut his foot off and the $25 she saved would cost her $100,000 or more.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say your chances are 70% or so the account will be up for bid again next year.
    When it comes around, bid 65 or 70.

Otoh, you might still get it thou I'd say chances are slim (no offense).
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I lost an account we bought, I thought by not raising his price from last season I was sure to get it. With 3 of us, 2 48" w/b and 1 guy edging and trimming we left it at $55/time (probably 3/4 of an acre spread out w/ islands etc.) I find out I lost it to a larger (one of the "big boys" in landscape) and I lost it by 35%! Well all I can say is have fun making a buck or two profit.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :hammerhead:
  7. Vinny

Vinny LawnSite Member

That`s low, I charge at least a $1.00 a minute or at least $55.00 an hour. I guess I`m glad I have enough customers.
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

dont forget a buck or two times 15 crews adds up quick!!
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well maybe so but when you only have 4 crews of 3 guys thats not much in my opinion.
  10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I don't know why you guys squabble over these small commercial accounts. Even if you got it for the $60 it is really low. Couldn't you do a MINIMUM of 3 residential accounts during that same time and charge $30 per cut or so. Most guys could do 4 or more in that time and make double what you would have.

I don't understand it.:hammerhead: