The March 8/9 storm was painful. Ouch.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Mar 9, 2005.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought that last night's storm created the worst working conditions so far this snow removal season. This additional snow plus what may come to the northeast this weekend will undoubtably delay the landscaping season even more.
    I do snow removal using snowblowers and shovels for resi landscape customers and their neighbors (please no plow suggestions). For guys with plows who never get out of the truck it makes not much of a difference, but for those who were out yesterday, did you think last night was the worst conditions to work in this year or what? I thought last night's winds and temp drop and resulting ice sucked the big one. I'm billing accordingly! More this weekend, and then again I will make the request to those or He that control such things...one more snow this weekend, then monday I would like to see the grass again and temps in the 60s. thanks in advance. Time for :sleeping:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I cannot ever remember seeing so many accidents.

It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get to my yard (3.5 miles away) to put on the plows. I saw SUV's on their roofs, cars up steep embankments, and a dozen or more tractor trailers in the median strip of I-78 (which by way was closed for more than 5 hours).

Horrible is not even close to describing yesterday IMO...

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, last night was tough. I do mostly residential and some small parking lots. I had my brother with me, and he was having a tough time. The snowblower was kicking up the snow, and then the wind was blowing it all over the place. I helped him shovel at a lot of the places, it was COLD. Glad that night is over

4. lawnguyland

Yeah guys, it's still a sheet of ice out there on the roads. I heard there were 100 accidents on I-80 alone last night in NJ.

"Luke...I am your rodFather"

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

They were calling for an inch of snow over night on Monday we started plowing Tuesday morning at 5:30 with about 4 inches and got a total of 9.I think they miscalculated a little.
    How much did you get up in the NY,NJ area?

6. lawnguyland

We got around 4-5 inches in Nassau county on LI. But, it was a sheet of ice here and 10 inches there with the bittahhh winds.

7. rodfather

We got only a couple of inches Larry but that turned to ice in a heartbeat. Walked out of my house around 1 in the afterrnoon to go and put the plows on, took 2 steps off the porch and immediately became Dorothy Hamill of the Ice Capades LOL...good thing I got a fat azz!

8. Lux Lawn

Monday it was 60 degrees here in the afternoon then we got a little rain and the temp started to drop, I said no way is it going to snow .When I left my house I couln't even see down the street.There was some ice under the snow thats for sure but i'm just glad with all that snow it was light and fluffy.

9. Lux Lawn

Rod
    How many trucks do you put out for plowing?
    Mostly for Residential or commercial.

10. rodfather

Same here...got up to 64 degrees and then whammo. Right now outside it's 17 degrees outside with the wind chill at 5...just lovely